maintenance on 1979 Cal -31new post

Nov 16, 2020
Cal 31 Coyote Pt. Marina,San Mateo,CA
Just bought a used Cal-31. Boat has not been used lately. What should I do first to bring boat back to greatness?

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Wow that’s a tough question. I guess first make sure it’s a safe boat sail. It’s hard to give you a suggestion without knowing the condition, pictures are always helpful.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Congratulations! And welcome to SBO.

Did you have the boat surveyed before you bought it? Typically the surveyor will list the most important and critical items that need to be repaired.

Nov 16, 2020
Hi Dave,
No survey as boat was part of quick,cheap estate sale. I have had the bottom cleaned with new zincs and no blisters. I have had my mechanic check the inboard diesel and ordered new parts. The boat was not used too much but the guy who owned it treated it very well and fixed anything that didn't work. The sails and rigging are in decent shape. I have a group of friends and family that are experienced sailors to advise me.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to SBO and congrats on the new to you boat.

Cal boats of this age were well made with thick hulls and nice lines. Sounds like you have a mechanic started on the engine.

I started with my boat focused on the fundamentals.
  1. Keeping the water outside the hull
  2. Assuring the mast stays up
  3. The boats steering is sound
  4. Sails are good
  5. Equipment is functional
Before doing any upgrades spend sometime on the boat trying all of the features of the boat. Making changes without understanding the boats current setup can be wasteful.

Good luck. The 31 is a good boat.

• Helpful
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Hi.
Congrats on the new boat! Nice to own a Cal. Yes. The best way to proceed is to have the survey done now. Hard to be very helpful here without details. Diesel inspection is not included in a hull survey, so you would not be paying double for anything.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Not much to add... I’d use @jssailem ’s checklist and then go sailing.

... and welcome to SBO

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The first thing I would do is to make sure all of the rigging parts are there and that it goes together. Because eventually you'll launch it and someone will put the mast up and if all the parts aren't there you're stuck. By parts I mean shrouds, whatever type of connector there is to the mast (Ball Fitting...), turnbuckles, tangs for the chainplates, Gooseneck and associated clevis pins, Outhaul wire or line with shackle and clevis pin, vang with connectors, Forestay with or without furler, backstay with or without adjustable component, spreaders and mast spreader mounts and shroud to spreader assembly. While you're checking for completeness look for wires with broken strands, rusty swages, worn or bend clevis pins, Clevis pin receptors with have an out of round shape.
Make sure thru hulls are either closed or able to be closed before launch. (Engine cooling water has to be open to start the engine.)
As for the engine, new oil, new oil filter, new fuel and new battery. See if it starts.
Then, go for a sail.

Nov 16, 2020
The first thing I would do is to make sure all of the rigging parts are there and that it goes together. Because eventually you'll launch it and someone will put the mast up and if all the parts aren't there you're stuck. By parts I mean shrouds, whatever type of connector there is to the mast (Ball Fitting...), turnbuckles, tangs for the chainplates, Gooseneck and associated clevis pins, Outhaul wire or line with shackle and clevis pin, vang with connectors, Forestay with or without furler, backstay with or without adjustable component, spreaders and mast spreader mounts and shroud to spreader assembly. While you're checking for completeness look for wires with broken strands, rusty swages, worn or bend clevis pins, Clevis pin receptors with have an out of round shape.
Make sure thru hulls are either closed or able to be closed before launch. (Engine cooling water has to be open to start the engine.)
As for the engine, new oil, new oil filter, new fuel and new battery. See if it starts.
Then, go for a sail.

Nov 16, 2020
Dear Shemandr,
My Cal-31 is already in the water at a marina in Northern Calif. and my mechanic is handling all the engine related issues but I still need to find someone to check the rigging and sails before I take the boat out for a sail. My late husband was in charge of all those issues in the prior sailboats we owned many years ago but I guess I will have to find some professionals to advise me now.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Just bought a used Cal-31. Boat has not been used lately. What should I do first to bring boat back to greatness?
End the sails on and get out there:)

someone else already mentioned keeping water OUT of the boat,
make sure the motors runs reliably,
and that the fridge keeps the beer cold :beer:

everything else is just window dressing.

have fun!

Greg

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello seniorladysailor, and welcome to SBO Forums.

As mentioned in earlier posts a survey would be a good idea. A certified surveyor will point out the parts of the boat that need attention. Be there with the surveyor and listen plus take notes. You will get a written report and pictures to illustrate what is mentioned. The survey will include a list of "must be done" and a list of "recommended to be done" items. That survey might be necessary for insurance for your boat that might be required by a marina where you keep the boat, and the "must be done" items will need attention. It will also give you an estimate of the boat's value at the time of the survey.

A rigger will be needed to inspect and to tune the rigging. That is separate from the survey. Again, be there when the inspection is done and take notes on how the tuning was done and of recommendation of parts to be replaced.

Respectfully, 31seahorse

Dec 1, 2020
Cal 31 Las Vegas
I love my Cal-31. Other than the standard stuff above, Check the spreader brackets!
In SF Bay, reef early! I run a 150/155 headsail because most of my power come from the headsail, but you will probably only need a 120/135. Are you running a foil? hank on? roller furl?

Dec 1, 2020
Cal 31 Las Vegas
P.S. There is a FB group just for Cal-31
I got my Cal after years unused. All lines needed replaced. I added A/C and Refer kit

Nov 16, 2020
Well, I too got my new to me Cal-31 from an estate sale and the boat has not been used and some time but it seems to be in pretty good shape. I am working with a great mechanic to upgrade the engine and the sails are still ok but I still have to have a professional look at the rigging. Also how do I sign up for the FB Cal-31 group?

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
husband was in charge of all those issues in the prior sailboats we owned many years ago but I guess I will have to find some professionals to advise me now.
My wife will tell you that "professionals" will spend less of your money than her husband does. :)
I like toys and cool boat stuff. So good to see you back in boating, sorry for the loss of your mate.

"Fairwinds, calm seas, and a dry bilge"

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Check for leaks before you disconnect the straps from the lift. Make sure the engine runs.
Remember. "if anything is going to happen, it'll happen out there"! :biggrin:
Enjoy your new boat!

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Polish it, if nothing else that will help you find any little glitchy stuff that wasn't noticed earlier. Welcome to SBO. Ask around at your marina about a local sail loft and rigger however you're likely to find that information faster here because there are many sailors out of the San Francisco area on this site. You will be a step ahead when asking about more specific questions on equipment by taking a picture of it with your cell phone and posting it when asking.

Dec 1, 2020
Cal 31 Las Vegas
Well, I too got my new to me Cal-31 from an estate sale and the boat has not been used and some time but it seems to be in pretty good shape. I am working with a great mechanic to upgrade the engine and the sails are still ok but I still have to have a professional look at the rigging. Also how do I sign up for the FB Cal-31 group?
This should take you there. If not just search Cal-31 on FB