Maintaining line tension for furler

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I just setup the first furler I've ever owned and the first thing I realized is that it's difficult to maintain consistent tension on the lines while furling or unfurling. How is this normally done?

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Run the line through one of your hands with some tension and pull with the other. You will figure out pretty quick what works best for each direction.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Keeping tension on the lines you are not working, ie pulling.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Use a ratcheting block when furling. This allows you to take a break and not lose ground. Something like this one (there are other choices). https://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?13439

Do not let the sail unfurl too quickly. Keep the tension on the furling line as the sail unfurls. As you have probably noticed, it starts slow and when some wind gets into the sail it will unfurl quickly.

When you furl the sail try to furl it when it is blanketed by the main, it is easier to maintain tension.

Keep practicing.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
This is for the headsail

I was hoping there would be a more elegant solution. Perhaps a tiller tamer would work to introduce some consistent friction

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
it's difficult to maintain consistent tension on the lines while furling or unfurling. How is this normally done?
With one's hands. Or, by hooking the line under one horn of a cleat. Taking a wrap on a cleat is too much.

I am starting to think you are single-handing this boat, and if so, I have a better appreciation for the issue.

You can step on the furling line as you unfurl the sail, and maintain tension that way. Furling, the only issue is to keep a little tension on the sheets.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I am starting to think you are single-handing this boat, and if so, I have a better appreciation for the issue.

You can step on the furling line as you unfurl the sail, and maintain tension that way. Furling, the only issue is to keep a little tension on the sheets.
I am most definitely am Single handing it. When I furled the genoa for the first and only time I sat on one of the sheets to give it tension

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I am most definitely am Single handing it. When I furled the genoa for the first and only time I sat on one of the sheets to give it tension
Yep that works. Simple too. Keep practicing and trying different methods, you'll find one that works for you.

One wrap or half a wrap around the winch helps.

Do you have a ratcheting block at the end of the furling line? This will allow you to keep tension on the furling line while pulling some tension on the sheet. This shouldn't need a lot of tension, just enough to keep the furling line from being too loose and foul wrapping on the drum.

If it is not as neat as you would like it, after docking, pull it out and try again when the boat is secure at the dock or mooring.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I sat on one of the sheets to give it tension
:plus::plus:

I do one wrap around each winch, then release the furling line and make clear and sit on both sheets

1) then do a kinda of a Yeee hawww on the sheets to release tension and haul in the furling line
2) Sit back down on both sheets.
3) Rinse and repeat.

The yeeee hawww is like the reins on the old stage coaches to say giddy up.

You just do a "up and down" snaking action for the slack.

Unfurling is easier.
Jim...

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
I think you are over thinking this. Just last night I had the furling line run through my right hand as I pulled the port genoa sheet to pull out the headsail. Reversed for when I brought it in. A ratchet block is $77+ you could spend elsewhere on boat stuff. That is over engineered on a O'Day 25. Anyway, just work it out and do it, you will get the hang of it quickly.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
One hand for the furling line, other hand for the working sheet. The lazy sheet gets a single wrap around the winch.
I find it easier to unfurl and furl on a starboard tack so the working sheet is on the same side as the furling line, which is port side on my boat.