Maintaining boom height with the main down

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Henry

When lowering the main on my '89 C22, the boom also slides down by a foot or 2 (sometime on my wife's head). Is it advisable to rig the boom so that it maintains the same height when the main is lowered? This would also provide for more head room at anchorage. I have both a pig tail and mast head topping lift. Many thanks, Henry

R

Rod

Topping lift

Why doesn't your topping lift resolve this issue? Is the line too long? I too have both a mast head topping lift and a pig tail but don't suffer from the boom lowering too much, unless of course I don't have the topping lift attached.

H

Henry

answer to topping lift

I just want the boom to stay high, whether the main is up or not.

C

Chris

try this

before lowering it, attach it by hook to your mast line, that will keep it from crashing down on you.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
C22 Boom

Henry It's not clear whether the aft or forward end of the boom is coming down on you, or both. For the aft end, the topping lift should be adjusted so that it doesn't prevent you from hauling in on the vang. Unless your topping lift is adjustable, this means that there will be a little slack in the topping lift unless you're sailing closehauled with the vang tight. If the wind is very light, you could hook the aft end of the boom to the pigtail, then drop the sail. If the wind is up, don't hook to the pigtail until the mainsail is down, and the boom should be held up by the topping lift. The "pigtail" by the way is called a boom lift. If the boom moves down on the mast, why not just fix it in place? Just find the right place so the main will go all the way up and you have a tight luff. With the mast extrusion, you should be able to get a sail stop in there and keep the boom at the same place at the mast all the time. Stu (former C22 owner #10496 - 1981)

D

Davi Bergevin

Boom Fix

Henry, Take the mast en of the boom and mark the lower edge where it needs to rest. Remove boom or raise out of the way. Drill a hole and tap a #10 machine thread (#10-24) and screw a flat head screw with a countersunk finishing washer (all s.s.) Voila, lower the boom and tie off the downhaul. No more boom drop/raise unless you untie the short downhaul.

C

Campy

Thumb Screw Sail Slug

Go buy a sail stop or Slug that has a thumb screw on it. It slides in the sail channel in the mast and when you tighten it up it locks whatever you want in the channel. I use one above the boom insertion point on the mast and one below it. Makes for easier sail dropping for my kids and keeps the boom from dropping too fast. Campy

B

Bayard Gross

I second Campy's plan

There really is no reason why the C-22 boom cannot be locked in place. Several of us, I am sure, do it already. For luff tension, I think the halyard should be sufficient. A cunningham can be added as well. Depending upon the year of your boat, the top edge of the boom should be either three feet six inches or three feet three inches from the top of the cabin. I beleive it is about model 1985 and on boats that use the three feet three inch measurement. Note your boat could have been built in 1984 and have the three feet three inch measurement. As I understand, the mast is shorter by about three inches on newer boats. The older mast (I think this includes the oval mast as well) I think is twenty-five feet nine inches. The newer mast I think is twenty-five six inches. However, I do not have the specific information here and this statement may be incorrect.

H

Henry

How do I shorten the pigtail?

Thanks for the helpful responses. After I fix the mast end of the boom to the new height, how do I shorten the pigtail to this height? Many thanks, Henry

K

ken

pitail

Henry, Campy was right on about the thumb screw slug fitting into the mast slot.As for your pigtail,it was made at that height when your backstay was made.Next time you get a new backstay be sure to measure for the height you desire.As for now,you might try a loop around the boom,or a loop in the pigtail itself.I had the same problem ,but I have a topping lift and just pulling it up a little higher took care of it.

B

Bayard Gross

A quick backstay pennent fix

You might be able to shorten the pigtail (backstay pennent) using stainles steel wire clamps, although for 1/8 inch wire they may be difficult to find. The clamps could be placed below the swag on the backstay which will sort of pull the pennent out and thusly make it a bit shorter to get to the boom. Or possibly the clamps could be placed above the swag. Some experimentation might be required. If you cannot get stainless steel clamps for 1/8 wire, a larger size may go over the swag and the pennet could be rested into the clamp at that point.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Boom Height

Bayard has a good idea. Another simpler one could be to simply wrap the existing pigtail around the backstay enough times to shorten it up to the shorter length you need, until you can obtain a complete redo. You did not mention how far "out of line" the two supports, i.e., the boom at the mast and the aft end of the boom, are. Unless the pigtail drops the boom over the cockpit to an unusually low and unacceptable position, Bayard's and other's ideas and this one should get you through to the next step. I assume you have checked the C22 Association website. DUCK! HEADS UP! Best regards, Stu

R

Rick Amon

Book kicker

The best solution for your problem is to just buy a boom kicker, and leave your pig tail alone. Only use the pig tail on your backstay, when at anchor or at the dock. A boom kicker replaces a topping lift and can be bought at either West Marine or Catalina Direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.