Mainsheet traveller bolt

Oct 30, 2019
I'm looking for a bolt to fix the slider on the mainsheet traveller
(the one you tighten by hand). I think it has a 1/4" UNC (Withworth)
thread and is made out of brass. I found out that it is the same bolt
used to fix a photo camera to a tripod (but those are not made out of
brass). Anybody any idea where to get them?

Maarten van Emmerik
V2904
Netherlands

Oct 19, 2019
Albin Vega 27 Limerick
Mi Maarten,
I replaced the original mainsheet traveller with a Lewmar one a year ago.
I kept the original track (nice piece of brass, might be useful) and may
also have some locking bolts.

I will be on the boat during the week (not sailing - weather forecast is
bad and I have to work :-|) - if I find a bolt I can post to you in
Nederlands if you want?

let me know..

All the best,

John
Vega 1447 Breakaway

John A. Kinsella Ph: +353-61-202148 (Direct)
+353-61-333644 x 2148 (Switch)
Mathematics Dept. e-mail: John.Kinsella@...
University of Limerick FAX: +353-61-334927
IRELAND Web: John Kinsella's Website

May 30, 2006
It would be nice to have one with a wing nut top or something similar. I find it very hard to finger tighten them so they won't work free and slide.
rb

Oct 19, 2019
Albin Vega 27 Limerick
I have to say that I found it dangerous (the original main sheet
traveller system) - the bolt often came loose on windy days and the
traveller jammed very easily in outboard/downwind position making it
difficult to drop the traveller downwind on the other tack..

It was the first piece of equipment that I replaced when I bought my Vega..

John

Vega 1447 Breakaway

groundhog wrote:

Oct 30, 2019
Maybe it is an idea to enhance the existing system by replacing the traveller rail end bolts with eye bolts, fix a 6mm line and connect the other end to the slider using a small block with V-clamb on both sides. this way you can pull the traveller towards you after tacking.

Oct 31, 2019
We did similar about 3 years ago: - eye bolts at the end and just astern of the track, small block either side of the central slider and a small jamming cleat either end and just forward of the track. Cost about E20 for the bits and an hour to make-up/fit; the system's worked well and taken Spring Fever from England to Greece without a problem.

Maarten van Emmerik maarten.vanemmerik@... wrote: Maybe it is an idea to enhance the existing system by replacing the traveller rail end bolts with eye bolts, fix a 6mm line and connect the other end to the slider using a small block with V-clamb on both sides. this way you can pull the traveller towards you after tacking.

Jul 3, 2005
Maarten,

Did you manage to find a replacement? The bolt head broke on
my port slider, and I'd very much like to replace with similar.

Best,
Scott

--
V2502, US

Oct 31, 2019
We broke one on Spring Fever; couldn't find a replacement and overcame the problem:-

Get a Stainless steel nut and bolt, I can't remember the exact size and the boats too far away to check, but I believe it had about a 17mm head and 10mm shank size.
Cut bolt down to about 25mm long and round-off the cut end
Carefully (watch your fingers) grind the nut down until it's about half its original depth (about 5 or 6mm)
Remove the track - the easiest way is to unbolt it from inside the locker and take the complete track and support rail off.
Slide the 'thinned' nut into the track, refix the track in place then screw the bolt into the nut.
The nut slides along inside the track until you tighten the bolt at which point the bolt presses against the bottom of the track and the nut jams against the top. If you want to be really flash, you could grind the corners off the bolt head. Its worked (better than the original) on Spring Fever for two seasons.