Mainsheet traveler upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gordon S.

While I'm at the keyboard, would like to share an upgrade. If you have mid boom sheeting with the original track and manual stops, you know what a pain in the neck it is to trim the main properly when close hauled. Getting the boom near centerline is a literal pain. Garhauer has a traveler upgrade kit for 200 bucks which gives you a traveler control with 5 or 6 to one advantage. Garhauer is the supplier of the track, at least on my boat. This is the same hardware as on the newer C30s. I added this kit to my C27 and it has made this chore a pleasure. Apparently many of the C27s with midship sheeting were sold without a traveler control line feature. The only difficult part of the installation was drilling and tapping four 3/8-16 holes in the track for the end controllers. Try this with a potable drill and the boat rocking around! Anyhow the boat is now a pleasure to tack. You leave the mainsheet trimmed properly and just use a moderate pull to get the car to windward of center and the boom near center of the boat where you want it on the new tack. The boat points better with this adjustment easily made. Gordon S.

Status
Not open for further replies.