Mainsheet replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve

I am the new owner of a 74 Venture 21. What kind of line should I get to replace the mainsheet? I also have need to get line for the anchor, what do I use and how much? I'm sailing on Lake Champlain. Thanks, Steve G. (This forum has been a great help)

R

ron acierno

line type

new england ropes, sta set 3/8 should be good. for sail lines, you want low stretch. go to sailnet and print out prices of line they have on sail right now (35% off) then bring to west marine and they will honor the internet price (also print out sailnet normal price, in case a wise ass west mariner doesnt give you the discount sailnet price). for anchor and dock, use triple braid for a bit of stretch (here you want stretch)

Jan 22, 2003
Hunter 25_73-83 Burlington NJ
The bigger the better.

There is a common conception among racing sailors that no line under 3/8 is worth holding. Skinny line tends to cut into your fingers and it's hard to manage anyway. I would say 3/8 is fine for a 21-footer's sheetline or 7/16 or even 1/2. Get as large a diameter as your blocks will allow, if not for strength than for comfort. It's not critical and can't hurt to go a size too big. Sta-Set is good and I would also look at Sampson Yacht Braid if it's still out there. Sanded-soft line wears a little faster but is comfortable to hold. There is NO reason on this boat to go to anything very fancy, such as Kevlar or ultra-low stretch. Any decent braided sailing line will do. JC 2

J

Jan Delbert

line/cordage guidance

This may be a little late, but I found it online and it answered similar questions for me. Hope it's a help to you too.

Status
Not open for further replies.