mainsheet block question

Apr 6, 2014
catalina capri 18 carlyle lake, il
i wonder if anyone has attempted to replace the mainsheet block attachment on a capri 18 to a three point system with a double block on the boom, a single block on the port side of the transom and a camcleat and fairlead on the starboard side? this system was on my com-pac and it worked very well. the catalina system is a bit clumsy and requires adjustment with every tack.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
The beauty of the Capri-18 mainsheet design is the simplicity and effectiveness. Yes, if close hauled tacking, the boat will not be pointing quite as high on a port tack due to the offset of the mainsheet attachment to the backstay. When tacking, or in light air, you don't have to worry about banging up the varnish on the tiller, or beating the gelcoat when the blocks are flopping around. More stuff to buy, more holes to drill in the boat. I believe there just might be a reason why the hundreds and hundreds of Capri-18's out there still use the factory mainsheet system.

Don

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2014
catalina capri 18 carlyle lake, il
don, yea, just after i posted this question i thought "why would i drill more holes in a boat?" i have never done it on past boats unless absolutely necessary. i think after a few more trips i will get used to it.