mainsail

Apr 7, 2006
Was looking at spars and after I left realized I never saw any track on the main boom for the foot- just what I now think was a short one at the end of the boom for the clew. Am I thinking correctly?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
If you were looking at an original spruce boom,

I think you were looking at the outhaul mechanism on the outboard end. Mine is a threaded rod turned by a handle on the end. The car that attaches to the clew of the main runs on two SS plates as it travels the screw fore and aft.

The boom has a bronze sail track let into a gain cut along the top of the boom. Hope this helps, are you looking at a Challenger?

Apr 7, 2006
Not any one in particular but love the boat. Thought I saw somewhere that some were having trouble find out history of their boat- For $25 you can get the title abstract from the Coast Guard in Falling Waters, W Virginia (odd place for the documentation center.......). It would list the first owner as who ever finished off the boat (ie Derecktors or Hodgdons).
Then it will show who the yard sold it to when they had finished. Then you can go to Alden with that first owner and they can tell you the hull #, etc.

The title search also shows all the owners of the boat from the time it was built which is fun.