Mainsail slugs for H26 Z-Spar?

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
I have a 1998 Hunter 26 with the Z-Spar Z230 mast. The specs on rigrite.com say 8mm round slugs.

The boat came (used) with three different sized slugs - 5/16" (8mm) nylon/SS slugs sewn to luff at battens, and a mixture of all-nylon 9mm and 12mm slugs shackled to grommets elsewhere along the luff.

The 12mm slugs (A018 Aquabatten) seem to fit just fine with a little play in the slot and no apparent friction or binding. The 9mm slugs (A017 Bainbridge) also seem to fit fine, with more play in the slot, obviously, than the 12mm's. The 5/16" sewn-on slugs, of course, have even more play in the slot.

I have not had any trouble with slugs binding when raising or lowering the main.

I want to buy some spares, and I'm wondering if there is any reason to stick with the looser-fitting 8mm or 9mm slugs or go ahead with 12mm slugs? Is it better to go with the largest slugs that will fit or stick with the specified 8mm slugs?

What size slugs are you other H26 owners successfully using in the Z-Spar mast?

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
I guess I'll stick with 5/16" (8mm) slugs, since that's the spec on rigrite.com and since that's what was sewn onto the factory mainsail at the battens.

As an aside, Sailrite's informational brochure on slugs, slides, and shackles says slug diameter "is not typically very critical but experimentation may indicate that one size works more smoothly than another".