Mainsail slug replacement

Fleet

Feb 8, 2021
Catalina 310 108 Lake Guntersville
#108 has been moved from TX to AL and is now in the water. What a pain this ordeal has been. I've got a long list of things to upgrade or repair and the mainsail slugs are one of them. My mainsail probably has the original slugs and they are attached to the mainsail via webbing. What is the best way to replace the old slugs?

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
If the webbing is still in good shape, cut the threads and reuse it it to sew on the new ones. Otherwise get similar new webbing and sew back like they were. This is easier with a sailmakers palm to help push the needle through, but it is not really necessary. I have replaced several slugs where the plastic broke on the sides on Hull 218.

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
It is not that big a deal to sew slugs on with webbing. If you have full battens (no cars) I would suggest you use Allslip slugs at the end of the battens and the top two.at the head. Get as long as available . Make raising the sail easier. You can also get webbing ,needles, and thread, sewing palm from them.

Allslip Flat Slug 3/4" - Sailrite (check for your size.) Hunt around and you can get them cheaper.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Just to add to the suggestions above, if you do an internet search on "replacing mainsail slugs" you you find YouTube instructional videos on how to replace them.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
If you've not had your sails to a sailmaker in years, you may consider it's time for a tune-up or replacement. They don't last forever.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
My mainsail probably has the original slugs and they are attached to the mainsail via webbing. What is the best way to replace the old slugs?
You've considered replacing the whole sail ? Most lofts will have a 10-15% off sail in winter. Dacron turns to toast faster than the hardware.

Fleet

Feb 8, 2021
Catalina 310 108 Lake Guntersville
Thanks for all the suggestions. New sails are not in the plans for this year. I'll look into getting the proper equipment from Sailrite and redo the webbing myself.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Awesome to hear Fleet! Sailcare took care of my sails this year and I was pleased with the results.

May 11, 2014
Catalina 310 Lake Texoma
Glad to see someone taking over and taking care of a Catalina 310.

When ordering a new main this year the Ullman loft that handles Catalina sail production advised me that the slot on the mast for Catalina 310's varied though the years, (and maybe even within model years). All that's to say that you need to be cautious to make sure you order the right slugs for your mast if slug replacement is in the plan.

On a separate note... I have a old Catalina 310 main and an old but very good condition 110 Jib that are looking for a new home, (and an escape from my storage space).

Have fun.

Todd L.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
We ordered New sails this year and our sailmaker-Doyle/Quantum Detroit - we noticed new style of headboard and also a metal top slug that is new design. Good for safety.
Welcome, enjoy sailing the 310, she is a great design!