Mainsail Reefing Problem

Jun 1, 2013
Hunter 306 Treasure Island
Good day everyone. I have been racking my brain around the mainsail reefing for my H306. I've taken it apart twice to verify it is ran as diagrammed in the manual but it just binds and I have to reef at the mast to get it down. I also have issues trying to shake it out without having to go to the mast where the reefing lines run out of the boom.

Any thoughts suggestions?

Thank you.

J

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
What size lines are you using? A line that is too big will cause lots of problems.

Jun 1, 2013
Great point

Thanks Bill. The lines are stock lines that came with the boat (3/8"). I may replace one with a narrower line and see how that does. I did find an old post from 2004 that described the challenges of trying to get the single lines reefing system to function smoothly (inherently they may not). Thanks again.

Jay

tcbro

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 33.5 Middle River, MD
Mine started working smoothly........

......once I removed a few years accumulation of bird's nests from the boom.

Now, I always keep a rag stuffed in the end of the boom. Now is the time to make sure your boom is closed, it's nesting time.

Tom

Jun 1, 2013
Thanks. I just replaced the boot cover and checked the lines in the boom and they appear to be obstruction free. Thanks again for the reply.