Mainsail Preventer

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 22, 2009
2003 Bavaria 36 Victoria BC
Any suggestions as to how to rig up a mainsail preventer for use when running wing on wing?
Thanks!

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Another option - not as crude - is to set up a block and tackle so you have a little more leverage to prevent the boom from taking off in the event of an accidental jibe. My preventer is 4:1.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
i prevent my mizzen frommid boom to hawse hole--i lost a bit of teak rail when i prevented to it--lol--- but i dont use my main too often---no need to!!! my traveller is an old fashioned one adn i think i maynot need to prevent my boom.
when i was sailing in gom, we prevented with a line to a stanchion base, then back to a winch and cleat--- worked well, and was quick.
never had a problem with broaching with a preventer---with 2 people on board, should be ok ... solo, i would loosen the preventer before tacking.

May 22, 2009
Preventer

dockline from boom to mid cleat is what we do. crude but effective.
I gave it a try and, although as you say it is crude, it does work! I attached the line to the bow cleat rather than the midship one as the amount of line that was out (to allow the main almost touching the shrouds & spreader), still allowed for the boom to gybe to mid ship before being stopped by the line - someone still could have been clobbered on that side of the boat!
Thanks again,
Bob

Sep 24, 2009
Bavaria 38 France
Sorry my web site is off line I am updating.

If the boom moves more than 18" then you have it set up incorrectly.

I have set mine up (bavaria 38) off the midships cleat port side through the abseil shackle down to the stb side cleat then back aft to the winch or stern cleat, the winch is better as you can tension it. If you do not have it tight then it will come across but at a more sidate speed.

This set up has stood the test of time and stopped me getting a headache on more than one occation. The swell in the Biscay is notorious, with 10 mtrs not uncommon.

To go out without one is not something I would do, £6.50 about $11 Your move.

Odysseus

Jun 19, 2010
2003 Bavaria 44 Chesapeake Bay
i like your method better...will do the same.

I gave it a try and, although as you say it is crude, it does work! I attached the line to the bow cleat rather than the midship one as the amount of line that was out (to allow the main almost touching the shrouds & spreader), still allowed for the boom to gybe to mid ship before being stopped by the line - someone still could have been clobbered on that side of the boat!
Thanks again,
Bob

May 22, 2009
Sure would appreciate a photo of your set up, particularly around the boom. I think the photo on your website is from the other boat?

Sorry my web site is off line I am updating.

If the boom moves more than 18" then you have it set up incorrectly.

I have set mine up (bavaria 38) off the midships cleat port side through the abseil shackle down to the stb side cleat then back aft to the winch or stern cleat, the winch is better as you can tension it. If you do not have it tight then it will come across but at a more sidate speed.

This set up has stood the test of time and stopped me getting a headache on more than one occation. The swell in the Biscay is notorious, with 10 mtrs not uncommon.

To go out without one is not something I would do, £6.50 about $11 Your move.

Odysseus

Sep 24, 2009
Bavaria 38 France
Sure would appreciate a photo of your set up, particularly around the boom. I think the photo on your website is from the other boat?
I have put another photo of the set up on my web site in 2011 (this year) you can see it on the boom.

Hope this helps, sorry late reply been sailing!!!

Odysseus

Status
Not open for further replies.