mainsail outhaul tension

ancbob

Jan 2, 2013
Catalina 22
I am looking for some direction for setting my initial main outhaul tension on a 77 catalina 22. I have a main outhaul kit on order from CD. But for now, I am using the "origional" method of just attaching the clew with line to the end of the boom, with no ability to adjust while sailing. I have looked at other posts, and the best answer I have found is "tight, but not too tight". there are no markings on the boom for a starting point.

any input would be really appreciated.

May 1, 2012
Catalina 22 Portland
I am far from qualified to give any sailing advice. But I'll share what I learned.

I found that my sail has a strange shape near the boom if it is too tight. Like if you try to stretch a piece of cloth. I set mine as tight as I can before I notice the stretch. It is less tension that I expected.

Sep 30, 2009
Catalina 250 CSA at Carlyle Lake
If you rig an adjustable out haul, you can quickly adjust it to the current conditions - loose for light air and tight for heavy air. This may not be the best method but here is what I did. I believe it's a 4:1 purchase.

Attachments

Feb 28, 2005
Catalina 22 1909 North East, Md.
Sailaway:

You have the right idea but it is virtually impossible to adjust the out haul on the fly as conditions change, the way you have it rigged without turning into the wind and bringing the boom over the cockpit. Than you can't see if it is adjusted properly because the sail is no longer in the proper angle to the wind, so there is a lot of trial and error back and fourth until you get it right. If you want to adjust your out haul on the fly as conditions you need to at least rig it to the base of the mast using a block with a cam cleat or bring it all the way back to the cockpit, because most of the time when you will want to adjust it, your cleat will be out of reach over the side

ancbob

Jan 2, 2013
Catalina 22
Sailaway: You have the right idea but it is virtually impossible to adjust the out haul on the fly as conditions change, the way you have it rigged without turning into the wind and bringing the boom over the cockpit. Than you can't see if it is adjusted properly because the sail is no longer in the proper angle to the wind, so there is a lot of trial and error back and fourth until you get it right. If you want to adjust your out haul on the fly as conditions you need to at least rig it to the base of the mast using a block with a cam cleat or bring it all the way back to the cockpit, because most of the time when you will want to adjust it, your cleat will be out of reach over the side
Thanks to all for your input. I installed an external out haul kit from cd today. Hopefully be trying it out over the next couple of days. I will post some pics of the out haul and resulting sail shapes as soon as possible.

ancbob

Jan 2, 2013
Catalina 22
FYI, my cleat is set 47 inches from aft, on the bottom side of the boom,per cd recommendations. I just need to try it out and see if this is a good location.