Mainsail furling line.

Jan 23, 2021
beneteau 323 Corpus Christi marina
Looking to start replacing running rigging on new-to-me B323.
The existing mainsail furling line is 3/8” three-strand, all others lines in the cockpit are braided.

Should i replace with braided or stay with three-strand?
If braided, would 5/16” work better in the furler screw?

TIA for your input.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I don’t have a furling main, but in my opinion it would be much better to use a braided line. A 5/16 line would certainly be sufficient. Because the lines seem to grow slightly in diameter over time, the 5/16 might be less likely to jam in the furler drum. As for 3 strand, it seems like the previous owner cheap Charlied on the line choice when it was replaced.

Jan 23, 2021
Thanks Doug, that’s what I suspected.
Will replace with braided.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Definitely agree with Doug, get rid of the 3 strand & replace it with double braid polyester... stay-set or equivalent. Check out your owner’s manual, there should be a page with all running rigging diameter & lengths. While you are replacing the line, may as well disassemble furler and clean/check/ lubricate bearings.

Jan 23, 2021
Thanks BigEasy and CalifTed. Will inspect, clean and lube furler mech.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
If you want to make it easier on your hands, go with 3/8 double braided and remove the inner core of the first 12 or 13 feet from the furler. It still will be strong enough to withstand the pressure when pulling sail in or reducing it. Has lasted 13 years on my boat before needing replacement.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021
Spec for Beneteau main infurl line might be wrong. Spec states 10mm.
Rigger tried to install that, but wouldn’t go.
He‘ll get 8mm and install that instead. So l’ll use the 60’ of 10mm as spare main sheet or halyard.

Jan 23, 2021
Misprint in manual good find
I should have believed rigger. He thought 5/16” should be used before seeing the boat. But I had him order 10mm...

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021
Pls note that some info in cited table is incorrect. Mainsail infurl line is spec’d at 10mm and 59’. (Sorry for mixing measurement systems). Rigger got 60’ of 3/8” braided per my instruction, even though he thought 5/16” was proper. Sure enough, 3/8” wouldn’t fit. Now I have spare 60’ of 3/8” line.

So rigger got 60’ of 5/16 braided. It works, but is 17’ longer than needed.

I cert appreciate Cal Ted for sharing Ben manual info, but pls be aware that some contained specs should be checked.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Something about converting from metric to imperial has recently been causing some problems with sizing I think. Where I used 10 mm in past it's now too big, and 8 seems right. On the Samson spec sheet is this odd notation "Diameters have been recalibrated for accurate metric sizing". My rigging plan is in inches and used to convert fine, now not so much. Sorry if I've assisted in leading you astray.
MLX3 - Samson Rope

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Spec for Beneteau main infurl line might be wrong. Spec states 10mm.
Rigger tried to install that, but wouldn’t go.
He‘ll get 8mm and install that instead. So l’ll use the 60’ of 10mm as spare main sheet or halyard.
Most Beneteau's have Selden rigs, which take 10mm.

Jan 23, 2021
Most Beneteau's have Selden rigs, which take 10mm.
Rigger purchased 10 mm (3/8”) line, but it did fit in the B323 mast furler screw.
Something about converting from metric to imperial has recently been causing some problems with sizing I think. Where I used 10 mm in past it's now too big, and 8 seems right. On the Samson spec sheet is this odd notation "Diameters have been recalibrated for accurate metric sizing". My rigging plan is in inches and used to convert fine, now not so much. Sorry if I've assisted in leading you astray.
MLX3 - Samson Rope
i remember many years ago, when US was supposed to switch to the metric system. The popular phrase was “let’s go metric, every inch of the way”.