mainsail from catalina direct reviews?

jimg

Jun 5, 2004
catalina 27 dana point
Catalina Direct sails are from Ullman, which has a very good reputation around here. For your boat I would go with the standard batten arrangement. Full battens help the sail hold its shape, but at the same time make it less easy to change its shape. Frankly I don't think a full batten sail would be all that helpful on a C22, with a relatively easy to handle sail size. Sails with the top 2 battens full are a compromise between having the sail hold shape and still being able to trim for performance in a variety of conditions. It can also allow for a larger roach on a custom sail.
Again, I think the best bang for the buck would be the standard sail. You will be amazed at the improvement a new sail will make.

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
got mine from mack sails and love it. Got my furling sail from the sail loft and it's a good sail but not nearly as well made as the mack sail.

Nov 18, 2012
Catalina 77 - 22 / 75 - 30 Lake Arthur, LA
I bought the Ulman full batten, loose footed from Catalina direct. On my second outing I came out second out of 10 boats in my club's spring regatta. I lost to a J24 by 38 seconds (PHRF).
I normally am in the bottom 5 boats. I guarantee it was the sail. I surely didn't become a great sailor all of a sudden

I've sailed her 3 times and I love that sail.it comes with a draft stripe and I can easily see the belly move forward as I tighten the out hall. It also has jack line reefing. Just pull the line and the sail comes down without having to remove the bottom slugs. You need mast gates though. It also has tell tales.

It might cost a few bucks more, but you get what you pay for.

Attachments

Aug 5, 2012
Stuart Marine / Marine Concepts Rhodes 19 / Sea Pearl Mobile
I bought the Ulman full batten, loose footed from Catalina direct. On my second outing I came out second out of 10 boats in my club's spring regatta. I lost to a J24 by 38 seconds (PHRF).
I normally am in the bottom 5 boats. I guarantee it was the sail. I surely didn't become a great sailor all of a sudden

I've sailed her 3 times and I love that sail.it comes with a draft stripe and I can easily see the belly move forward as I tighten the out hall. It also has jack line reefing. Just pull the line and the sail comes down without having to remove the bottom slugs. You need mast gates though. It also has tell tales.

It might cost a few bucks more, but you get what you pay for.

I started sailing loose footed Mains & full battened about 10 years ago....I find them much easier to shape for most winds conditions. In the light air, they really shine as the sail maintains shape :)

Mar 2, 2007
Catalina 22 Anderson, SC
I have a used Ullman full batten loose footed mainsail that I got with a used boat I purchased. The sail is not that old I don't think, but it got stained a little from mud daubers (sp?). I am using a brand new main on my race boat, so do not need this sail. If someone were interested, I would sell it.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Dirty sail? Try soaking it in a CLEAN plastic garbage can for several days with a strong mixture of "Oxi-Clean". No scrubb'en, just soak'en. Works best if you can tie it up high, like a line off the house or a tree and rinse the heck out of it and let it dry good. Oh how I don't miss those mud-dabbers! :cussing:

Don

Sep 29, 2012
Catalina 22 Clucluz Lake, BC
If you're not too picky and just sail casually then maybe the familiar standard with its lower price might appeal to you. I sail on a lake where the winds are typically weak, I'm not a racer but I do single hand most of the time so the prospect of a full batten which rests down in between two Lazy Jacks is what I chose. If I were a racer and knew how to shape my sail for optimal performance I probably would have gone with the 2+2.

Aug 2, 2013
Catalina 22 Bristol
thank you all for the replies. I'm leaning towards the standard main sail with the bolt rope on the foot as that is what I'm used to and I don't race -- also, I'm going to have the 2nd reefing points added as I sail on the Narragansett and find it has been necessary a couple times over the past year.

Thanks again -- any other comments would be much appreciated.

Chris

Sep 12, 2013
Catalina 22 Dillon, CO
Loose footed? The sails listed on CD all state that they have a lower bolt rope.
Are you just leaving the foot out of the boom and tightening the out haul?
Or, do you special order one with no bolt rope?

Nov 18, 2012
When you order, you will get a call verifying all options and sail numbers. You can order then. But I thought I ordered loose online.

BTW, they only require half on order and half on delivery.

Aug 2, 2013
Catalina 22 Bristol
Loose footed? The sails listed on CD all state that they have a lower bolt rope.
Are you just leaving the foot out of the boom and tightening the out haul?
Or, do you special order one with no bolt rope?
No, only the standard sail for $695 has the bolt rope listed.

Aug 2, 2013
Catalina 22 Bristol
When you order, you will get a call verifying all options and sail numbers. You can order then. But I thought I ordered loose online.

BTW, they only require half on order and half on delivery.
Do you remember how long it took to receive your sail?

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Check this link and read all the information on their sails. Spend a little now, save a lot in the long haul. Must be a reason why just about everyone except the gaff rigged boats, are going footless. Full battens cost more, but they hold their shape better, and they don't flog, which is what shakes the resin out of your sails quickly, so with minimal care they will last a lot longer and perform better. If your going to keep the boat and enjoy better performance, spend a little more and go footless and either 2 + 2 or full battens. If your fixing up the boat for the next owner, standard sails are fine. Just my two cents.

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index...ct-offshore-mainsails-for-catalina-yachts.cfm

Don

Nov 18, 2012
I think it was about a week. Of course they can ship it faster for a lot more. I do remember I was surprised when it arrived earlier than expected. It came with sail ties and a nice bag.

On another note, I'll be ordering a new headsail. My 110 hank on ripped along the luff. I had gotten the sail on EBay for $38. It turned out to be dry rotted along the edges. When I put it up in heavy air it ripped in a bunch of sections but only about 3 inches from the edge, so I'm still sailing.

I brought it home and started taping it with sail repair tape, but ran out about half way.
That's when I pulled out the duct tape and finished the job. My only regret is I should have used white instead of gray duct tape.

It performed very well. No worse than a storm sail thickness. I wouldn't duct tape a jenny though. It will do until I order my new headsail in the fall when CD has it's annual sale.

Maybe you give a few more weeks to you old headsail.

Dave

ebsail

Nov 28, 2010
O day 25 Nyack. New York
Having owned 9 boats and reached age 82 and still sailing, there are no replacements for a good local sailmaker who will come to your boat and measure everything. Yes it will cost about $300 more than buying on line but its worth it in the long run. Sails will fit better, sail faster, and usually last longer. Sails are the engine of the boat. If the sails are used for at least 10 years, that's $30 per year which is a pittance in boat costs. Well made sails are usually used for more than 10 years, so pay now or pay later.