Mainsail Downhaul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 1, 2004
- - Waukegan
Has anyone tried to rig a downhaul on the mainsail? Most of the time I have to get on top the cabin to help the main down. I single hand much of the time and would like to stay in the cockpit as much as possible.

W

Wright Ellis

Have you tried ...

... lubricating the slugs and track with silicone? I did this and now my mainsail drops like a rock.

May 24, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Cypremort Point, LA
Yes to Silicone

Silicone will do the trick. Spray your sail slugs a few times a year and it will come down lickity split! Also make sure your main halyard cam cleat is open all the way too or this will place resistance on the halyard.

Jun 4, 2004
- - Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Downhaul

I had the same trouble with my 1997 h26 and asked the same question a couple of years ago. I got the same answers, i.e., "Lubricate the sail track." For me, it didn't work. I rigged a downhaul on both the jib and main. The system words perfectly. I don't singlehand, but my wife and I run the boat from the cockpit with no problems. David King "Molly"

P

pablo

Downhaul Question

Dave, How did you rig your main sail downhaul? Paul H S/V Linda Belle 95 H26

B

Bill O'Donovan

Try this...

1. Lube the track with teaspoon of Dawn. 2. Use a West System syringe to do it. 3. Routinely attach the cunningham, tight. 4. Loop the main halyard reversed at winch. 5. Loosen up the halyard to avoid kinks. 6. Make sure you're dead into the wind. 7. Don't forget to put the topping lift on. 8. Get out of the way so battens don't bonk you. 9. Stand back and let her rip!

Jun 4, 2004
- - Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Paul - downhaul

Paul, Very simple and cheap to rig a downhaul. I ran a 1/4" line from the main halyard,down to the base of the mast where I mounted a turning block. Another turning block ran the line parallel to the hatch cover and back to the cockpit. You'll need some kind of a cleat to secure the end of the downhaul line. I keep the downhaul attached to the halyard at all times. I runs up and down like a windowshade. Same principle with the jib. Heaving to or heading into the wind to reef or strike the sails used to be a hassle. It can get pretty sloppy here in the Bay of Banderas at times. My wife used to be the one to go forward to handle sails by hand. Now we stay in the cockpit and handle the whole process in minutes. David "Molly"

Apr 19, 1999
Pearson Wanderer Titusville, Florida
Check your halyard sheaves too

The plastic sheaves in the masthead truck go bad after a while and won't turn, creating a lot more friction in the system. Peter H23 "Raven"

Status
Not open for further replies.