Mains halyard

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I'm planning to replace my Mains halyard but isn't sure what size I've after measring it with a venier calipher.
For my H326, should i go with 3/8" or 7/16" ?
The h320, h326(2002) & h326(2004) Owners Manual is missing this info. I've thought of swapping halyard with the assym but the assym ones seems smaller.
I'm looking at Samson XLS. Please advise.
Thank you.

KenY

Apr 20, 2016
Hunter 34 New Bern
Not sure on your size but we just went with Cajun Rope Co, out of Canada and very pleased with the Halyards

Aug 3, 2010
Hunter 326 Charleston SC
Replaced mine this year with 90' 3/8 XLS on sale a WM. Worked great all summer still looks new.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The cordage today is so good I don't think it matters in terms of strength. I think either would be compatible with your mast top sheaves. But you could test how each size goes thru the blocks at the base of the mast and the line stopper. You want it to run easily and for the stopper to hold it securely. For example a lot of sailors Like Stay Set. But I think it doesn't run through blocks easily. XLS would be fine but it is double polyester - not the least stretchy of affordable cordage. You can probably downsize if you want. Do you have a roller furling main or do you hoist the main for each sail? It makes a difference. There are more intangibles to consider. Abrasion resistance, hockeling, UV resistance, comfort to the hand and price. There are so many choices I think it makes sense to make a list of priorities and then share it with a representative from a source of cordage from several companies. Try this site.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
This site calculator calls for Samson XLS 3/8 inch
If your boat meets any of these criteria click here to go up one size:
  • You sail in heavy winds or seas
  • Your boat is heavy for its length
  • Your rope clutches are worn or more than 15 years old

Oct 29, 2005
Thanks for all replies. I'll go with 3/8" like kjretlaw. Cheaper to go with 3/8" than 7/16". The stock from Hunter is XLS so thats good enough for me.
I don't sail much in heavy weather, h326 is comparatively not heavy.

KenY

Oct 27, 2016
Seattle
And now a word from the sponsor...
Cabinet catch for many Hunters

These catches were common on Hunters from the Legend-era through today's Marlow-Hunters. We keep a large stock on hand for emergency shipments or just getting spares.
See the product

Dubai

Nov 19, 2010
Hunter 326 Dubai
Hi Ken
Wondering how you got on with replacing your main halyard. Did you go for 3/8?

Oct 29, 2005
Hi Ken
Wondering how you got on with replacing your main halyard. Did you go for 3/8?
Hello not changed yet. I'm in regatta so don't want to make any change for now. Plan to work on it next week when return from regatta. Friends mention dyneema. Kinda expensive, doubt I go for that.

Oct 29, 2005
Dubai, don't wait for me. I've decided to swap my little used Spin halyard with the Mains halyard (cheaper option to me). Both same size and length. Btw I've check New England catalog for sizing and my other sheets that goes up mast top sheaves for fit, 3/8" seems to be doable for Mains halyard.
Cheers! :D

Oct 29, 2005
Finally i had to replace my "replaced" Mains halyard "again". I use the spin halyard for Mains but wasn't in good shape. The spin was 3/8" and i got 3/8" Samson XLS for Mains. Seems to work well. The original Mains halyard was one size larger probably 1/2".