Maine’s shoreline is longer than California’s?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Maine has the fourth(edit) longest tidal shoreline in the United States. 3,478 miles. Longer than larger states like Texas and even California.

If you draw a straight-line from Kittery to Eastport, the distance is only 220 or so miles. That’s only a third of California’s length - as the crow flies.

But tidal shoreline which officially* takes into account offshore islands, sounds, bays, rivers, and creeks to the head of tidewater or to a point where tidal waters narrow to a width of 100 feet — is the sailers coastline.

* official-check your state here, shoreline length: https://coast.noaa.gov/

This “coastline paradox”, a term used in Oceanography, is easy to understand if you live-work and sail along the coast of Maine.

Last season, with the prospect of a hot August Westerly later in the day, we lingered over breakfast and had time to meet other coastal sailors(one from NH, one Calif.) in the Jewel Island anchorage in Casco Bay.

There are a wide range of wonderful people, boats and dinghy's, doing our coasts.

Jewel Island.jpg

By mid morning, we’re under way and headed Eastward, bound for home.

August is Fire and Ice on the coast of Maine. Icy seawater quickly chills the land heated West wind (high 80's), keeping us cool and moist in the cockpit.

We sailed through Casco Bay leaving hundreds of miles of shoreline, islands and unexplored sailing behind, for another time.
Sequin sail 2018.jpg

A morning broad reach was coaxed onto the beam as both our course and the wind swing more Northerly bringing the shoreline, closer, closer. Water flattens, boat speed climbs.
Sailing for Sequin.jpg

As a headland moved aft, we leaned on a growing breeze that increased through the wide valley formed by the mighty Kennebec River.

I can attest, you have to pay attention when sailing closely along the coast of Maine. Not all hazards are easy to see (many are submerged), especially with all the beautiful distractions going by.
Nav station.jpg

(I prefer many portable minders in the cockpit helping keep an eye on hazards, many not marked ahead.)

We took the route on the inside of Sequin Island.
Sequin sail crop.jpg

Other boats had the same idea and passed us heading South (up ahead), as we sliced our way inside Sequin Island at hull speed.
12-16_.jpg

Another headland slows things down just long enough for lunch under sail (AP) before the Westerly picks our sails up in the next open valley formed by the Sheepscot River.

See ya!
12-21 looking back.jpg

By mid afternoon, the wind was at it’s peak for the day and I was wishing for a reef in the main. Time to quit.

We rolled up the genoa in the lee of Southport Island and listened to the rattling mainsail as the engine drove us dead to windward, into Boothbay Harbor.

The anchorage was a mill pond, a perfect place to spend a peaceful night and enjoy the next sunrise (5:19 am).
5-19 am Boothbay dawn.jpg

Almost home. Just little Muscongus Bay between us and Penobscot Bay.

Muscongus Bay 1905.jpg

Someday, instead of just passing through, I have to explore Muscongus Bay. Someday,….

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Thanks, Tom. I see that California has us (Washington) beat by almost 300 miles. Still, at 3,026 miles that doesn't include the easily accessed and protected shorelines of Brittish Colombia and Alaska. Think of it as the ICW on steroids but with deep water, way more room. and almost no bridges. It's also cool in summer and often rainy. We indeed will never see it all. I need to figure out how to plan longer trips because a month at a time is way too short.

Ken

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Thanks, Tom. I see that California has us (Washington) beat by almost 300 miles. Still, at 3,026 miles that doesn't include the easily accessed and protected shorelines of Brittish Colombia and Alaska. Think of it as the ICW on steroids but with deep water, way more room. and almost no bridges. It's also cool in summer and often rainy. We indeed will never see it all. I need to figure out how to plan longer trips because a month at a time is way too short.

Ken
I see, your state Washington, is one of the big boys, too. And from what I read, it's one of the prettiest cruising grounds on Earth.

All tolled, I notice we have nearly 100,000 miles of coastline to explore in the US. That's 27 Transatlantic crossings.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I don't know guys. Looks like you are including all those estuaries. That shouldn't count. A coast line is a coast line, not an inlet with additional inlets. JMHO

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
How do you guys anchor in that Rocky coast line. Seems like you could loose a plow wedged in the rocks

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
I don't know guys. Looks like you are including all those estuaries. That shouldn't count. A coast line is a coast line, not an inlet with additional inlets. JMHO
Don't take it personally, Brian (I just noticed your fromCA.). :)

It's not us guys, it's NOAA counting our coastlines. I'm sure it's controversial, but at least the notion has not been made political(yet!).

California has the beautiful Pacific Highway, world renowned for it's soaring ocean vistas.

Conversely, Maine has it's Coastal Rt. 1, which is a great road to get nowhere - fast. And you hardly even get a glimpse of our coast!

It may have taken me longer to drive from nearby Jewel Island to Boothbay, in August traffic, seriously.

We'd have to build bridge along coastal Maine to get your Pacific Highway views.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Michigan is WAY up there, with 3224. Most of that is straight runs of coastline. Maine and Maryland (another 3K+er) get theirs by counting inlets a mile deep and 200 yards wide as 2.1 miles of 'coast'. All depends on how you count, and whats important to you. I find most of Michigan's coastline boring (and dangerous)!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Isn't the official count the "tidal waters" coastline?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Now Louisiana is reported at 7,721miles while here in Florida we have 8,436 miles but somehow the comparison makes no practical sense.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Just the Eastern shoreline of Georgian Bay is 3,300 miles..... and that doesn't include the western shore which is probably half as much. The reason it's called the 30,00 islands because theres no way in actually counting them all. And then of course where do you stop in counting islands and not the additional 60,000 rocks that may or may not be above water depending on the water levels that year....... Thank goodness we don't have tides......

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Isn't the official count the "tidal waters" coastline?
Yes.

NOAA’s official value for the total length of U.S. tidal shoreline is 95,471 statute miles (The Coastline of the United States [NOAA/PA 71046], 1975). The tidal shoreline figures were measured by hand in 1939-40 with a recording instrument on the largest-scale charts and maps then available. Shorelines of outer coast, offshore islands, sounds, bays, rivers, and creeks were included to the head of the tidewater or to a point where tidal waters narrow to a width of 100 feet. The total length of tidal shoreline includes measurements of the coastal states as well as the outlying U.S. territories and possessions. For the Great Lakes, the shoreline lengths were measured in 1970 by the International Coordinating Committee on Great Lakes Basic Hydraulic and Hydrologic Data.

"where tidal waters narrow to a width of 100 feet."

This spot at LW (which is how chart data is measured) could be less than 100' and may not have been included.

I think we need a remeasure. We're probably #2. :)
Precision anchoring (1 of 1).jpg

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Very nice write up TomY and as always your photos are great. Thanks again.

Checked out the NOAA site, Virginia is 3,315.

BTW: Smith Mountain Lake (my main sailing grounds) has 500 miles of shoreline. A wonderful mountain lake with many nooks to explore.

Nov 3, 2018
Cape Dory, Albin 300ms Motorsailer, Vega Baltimore
Tom, thanks for sharing the link. Turns out Maryland, my home waters, are in the running with CA and ME. Thankfully not as deep or cold.

About 10 years ago I took my Vega solo up to Maine. Jewel Is, was, is, just that a jewel. I spent a couple of days exploring the island and then my wife flew up for a weeks cruise in Casco Bay. After I dropped her off in Portland I headed over to Seguin - a picture perfect sail with the wind vane doing the work and me keeping watch. I spent the night on one of the mooring balls at Seguin and the next morning had a look around the lighthouse. Beautiful views out to sea and up the river. The funny thing is that at the lighthouse I met this guy from my little home town in Maryland who was visiting his friend the summer caretaker- it’s a small world.

That trip to Main was fantastic in so many different ways. Hopefully with retirement on the near horizon I’ll get up there again.

Beautiful Pictures!

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Still, at 3,026 miles that doesn't include the easily accessed and protected shorelines of Brittish Colombia and Alaska.
That adds up to 52000miles right there. Twice around the world without going offshore!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
. Maine and Maryland (another 3K+er) get theirs by counting inlets a mile deep and 200 yards wide as 2.1 miles of 'coast'.
That’s right, and those creeks and crannies are full of some of the best tasting big blue crabs and oysters!