Maine Visitors

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
May be best to plan to visit somewhere other than Maine or else comply with the following edict:

Testing as an Alternative to Quarantine
Visitors travel to Maine to enjoy our scenery, our outdoors, our restaurants, and our stores. They neither want to quarantine upon arrival nor want to risk their own health when venturing out in places with visitors from across the nation. The same holds true for people with second homes in Maine or Mainers whose work takes them out of state for periods of time.

Under Keep Maine Healthy,

• The State will allow adults who obtain and receive a negative COVID-19 test no later than 72 hours prior to arrival to forgo the 14-day quarantine upon arrival in Maine. This test indicates that, even when coming from areas with a higher prevalence of the disease than Maine’s, such visitors are unlikely to have COVID-19 and to spread it to Maine residents and other visitors. Individuals may be tested in Maine, but they must quarantine while awaiting the results.
  • Maine is strongly urging visitors to “Know Before You Go,” and be tested and receive results in their home state before traveling to Maine, which will allow them to take appropriate action depending on the result. Websites like Get Tested COVID-19 show local testing options nationwide.
  • The State will exempt residents of New Hampshire and Vermont from the testing and 14-day quarantine requirement altogether, effective immediately for travel and effective June 12 for stays in lodging establishments. When adjusted for population, the prevalence of active cases of COVID-19 in these states is similar to that in Maine. There is no other state with as low a prevalence of COVID-19 within a 12-hour drive. The State will continue to evaluate possible additional exemptions based on trends in other states.
  • People who are not Maine, New Hampshire or Vermont residents must complete a Certificate of Compliance form indicating they have received a negative COVID-19 test result, that they will quarantine in Maine for 14 days, or that they have already completed their quarantine in Maine.
  • This Certificate of Compliance must be provided to check-in at all Maine lodging, campgrounds, seasonal rentals, and other commercial lodging, such as Airbnb. Visitors may be asked to furnish proof of the negative test result upon request.
  • This will become effective July 1 (Stage 3) when lodging establishments may begin serving residents outside of Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont. The Department of Economic and Community Development, in conjunction with the Department of Health and Human Services, has prepared a draft form for public feedback and will finalize in the coming week. Signing a compliance form in order to stay in lodging establishments is also a policy employed by both the States of New Hampshire and Vermont.
  • The Department of Economic and Community Development will work closely with lodging establishments to communicate the State’s new alternative to quarantine through reservations, which must be taken this summer, and work to advance the message of “Know Before You Go” urging people to be tested at their point of origin through reminders to guests.
  • The State’s newly-announced standing order –which allows for most individuals in Maine with elevated risk of exposure to get tested without an order from their own primary care provider – coupled with enhanced testing capacity in July resulting from an agreement with IDEXX, will support testing of tourism workers in Maine and serve as a back-up option for tourists who cannot be tested at home and commit to quarantining in Maine while awaiting results.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
RoyS, thanks for posting............looks like the new norm for traveling............in addition to social distancing and face masks!!

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Interesting, Is this legislation passed by the Maine legislature or a "order by the governor"? I understand the need to control the risk and also the need to provide guidelines. Believe me, I am isolating and would comply with these guidelines whether they are legislation or just an order by the governor so don't launch into me about not being safe or ignoring the risk. The post above is somewhat ambiguous. As I read this, it is focused entirely on the commercial lodging industry. I'd be interested to read the actual "government order" that invokes this along with the quarantine "order".

With that being said, what is the penalty for failure to comply? Is it jail or a fine and is it a fine for the tourist or the establishment providing the lodging? I don't intend to visit Maine nor would I violate these guidelines out of respect for the health and safety of the residents there. If a resident leaves Maine and drives to Connecticut for more than 72 hours, do they have to quarantine themselves? It is my understanding from several legal experts that the governor can't put into force legally enforceable penalties that are not a part of laws passed by the legislature unless Marshall Law has been declared. Where do we draw the line? I don't know where the line is, but I fear we are getting very close to the line.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
When you're one of just a handful of states with a low infection rate, in the country with the highest Covid-19 death rate in the world, it's understandable that our governor wants to protect her state's health.

The restrictions are executive orders. As far as the 14-day quarantine for visitors, I don't believe there is any attempt at policing. And I know from experience that the quarantine isn't being followed 100% (I doubt it's even close). These are mostly second homeowners that aren't following the quarantine to a T.

But I do think her restrictions are working to help keep our infection rate low. Visitors are taking this seriously and following proven simple guidelines. Except for our southernmost county, our entire coast has no detectable community transmission.

The newest plan with a testing alternative is definitely limiting visitors that would rent a short visit. Most people will take a pass and go elsewhere. But as an example of how it works, a family from Maryland last week decided to get proactive and get the test to come to Maine. The dad tested positive, but is asymptomatic(not rare). They were relieved to find out because one of the family member they planned to visit in Maine, is autoimmune deficient.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
My original post above is the official Maine government policy. Regarding USA having the highest Covid death rate in the world, that is fake news.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I’m quite concerned that a negative test result is becoming the “ticket” for admission. It’s my understanding that a high percentage of a least one of the most popular tests can return a false negative especially in the early days of being infected.

285AEF5D-D04C-4362-AEAC-1256D830A067.jpeg

Ontario has recently started allowing visitors to enter retirement homes. Very strict criteria for entry that has a negative test result as one of the factors.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
My original post above is the official Maine government policy. Regarding USA having the highest Covid death rate in the world, that is fake news.
You're right Roy. Journalistic sources I use (reputed to be least biased) have updated the 20 most affected countries in the world, and the US is now 8th place. Still not a good leader board to be a part of.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
I’m quite concerned that a negative test result is becoming the “ticket” for admission. It’s my understanding that a high percentage of a least one of the most popular tests can return a false negative especially in the early days of being infected.

View attachment 180884

Ontario has recently started allowing visitors to enter retirement homes. Very strict criteria for entry that has a negative test result as one of the factors.
True but if numbers of infected are kept down, that works for the good of all. There is no way to stop all infection in the short term.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I hope I didn’t sound like I thought testing wasn’t useful as I believe it is one of the most useful control measures the world has right now.

My concern is that the thinking of a negative test result is absolute safety.

Here’s the scenario that gives me pause.

A person is positive on day 1, gets tested.
Might have to wait for a few days for results so now day 3, but test says negative.

Didn’t plan departure till day 5 as wasn’t sure when the written test results would be available.

Travel to destination and be there during the period of when they shed the most virus but believes they are negative, follows the “rules” but still presents a risk.

Testing even with the risk of false results is better than no testing, just don’t stop all the other safety measures because you think your negative.

Last edited:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Testing even with the risk of false results is better than no testing, just don’t stop all the other safety measures because you think your negative.
I think that is the key.

Now with more testing available, one thing to watch is the percentage change of positives results. That may show an increase and a second wave if areas don't practice the 'other safety measures' you mention.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I think that is the key.

Now with more testing available, one thing to watch is the percentage change of positives results. That may show an increase and a second wave if areas don't practice the 'other safety measures' you mention.
If this wasn’t so $&)((; scary it would be an interesting social experiment.

!!!!!RANT WARNING!!!!

Locally here in the Kingston area the “identified” rate of infection, hospitalization etc has been really low. :) So my perspective is likely a bit off as a result.

At various points in time from my personal observations there has been a range of reaction, driven in my opinion by “nice weather.”

At first most everyone was very serious - go home stay home. Relatively easy to do when most are scared and the weather is nasty

Spring time weather, few nice warm days everyone is out interacting but not very good at physical distance.

Stores and public messaging started encouraging masks and better adherence to the 6 ft thing with most people being compliant although the one way aisles in the store seemed especially challenging ;)

Pressure to re-open begins and a deluge of somewhat conflicting, difficult to decipher public messaging. Hard to comply so people start to do their own thing, either they don’t agree with the “fuzzy” rule or just need to get something accomplished. The end result is a mishmash of approaches. No ones fault really just human nature.

Weather gets consistently nice, lots of people out, masks are sweaty. Challenging to remember compliance to safety protocols.

Add in “testing” to that and things get pretty murky. Doctor wants to have you tested but can’t do it themselves, go to a “official test site” and get turned away, eventually get tested then multi day wait for results that might not be accurate so what happens in the meantime. We’ve all heard the stories so is it worth it to get tested in the first place! ARGH! :)

My logical side says careful reopening is good, emotional side is conflicted. Wish this was just over !!!!

!!!! RANT OFF!!!! Thanks for listening. ;)

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
As far as the 14-day quarantine for visitors, I don't believe there is any attempt at policing. And I know from experience that the quarantine isn't being followed 100% (I doubt it's even close).
Despite blinking billboards blasting out the "14 Day Quarantine" on the Maine Turnpike, no one cares. I was down in Elliot last week picking up inventory and thought I may want to grab a new pair of deck shoes at Kittery Trading Post. I pulled in the lot and no less than 2/3 of the cars were out of state, mostly MA. I turned around and left.

Drove up to Freeport last week for some take out food and the lot at LL Bean was about 60% out of state plates.

We were up at camp this weekend and the places folks rent regularly were all occupied by, you guessed it, out of state plates. I actually overheard one mother reprimanding her hungry kid in the grocery store and saying "You ate two hours ago when we left home, we'll be there in 10 minutes.". Came out of the store and guess what, she and her family had MA plates (Sudbury soccer stickers).

Maybe, just maybe, our Governor should put the Turnpikes Northbound weigh station to good use instead of coming down only our local small business owners with an iron fist.

Suffice it to say the 14 Day Quarantine is a complete and utter joke. It is in no way that I have seen or read about being enforced.

On the flip side the minute a small restaurant allows just a couple of people inside, while the owner is 100% abiding by Federal CDC guidelines, it's an instantaneous I'M THE CZAR DON'T "F" WITH ME treatment from our Governor. This happened to a local Freeport guy just last week. Less than 100 yards away from his eatery is LL Bean with out of staters pawing through items, then putting them back, trying stuff on, then putting it back etc.. Course we all know COVID 19 does not spread is large retail chains such as WalMart, Target or even LL Bean but it's instantaneous death if you eat 10' away from another party in a small restaurant...

Is anyone else amused by the sheer levels of hypocrisy during this whole debacle, or is it just me...?

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Our Prime Minister announced today that the non-essential border restriction has been extended another month until July 21st, so cross border tourism is likely dead for the summer as this policy isnt likely to change imho.

Today i went down to the marina that I typically use to provide a little “physically distant” support to a guy who bought a boat from me. There are at least 40% of the stored boats still on the hard with no intention of launching this season. Sign of the times I guess :(

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Alabama is done with COVID, but COVID is not done with Alabama.
Yep!

Presently there are exactly zero empty ICU beds in the city of Montgomery. Luckily we have a mayor with stones and rumor is that in the next day or so he is going to pass an edict that everyone within the city limits must wear a mask in public. Should create an interesting showdown between the mayor and the governor.

Stay tuned...:pimp:

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Again my question. How is this edict going to be enforced and under what "legal" authority does the Mayor, or the Governor for that matter, have to put in place an edict? Has the legislature passed a resolution or law granting that authority to the Governor or Mayor? How much are you willing to give up? Are you willing to allow a city Mayor, even with majority of the public in support for religeous reasons, to edict that all women must cover their face in public? Where is the line? Before you launch into me, I wear a mask in public and encourage others to do so but I worry about what we are willing to do to our Constitutional Freedoms.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Again my question. How is this edict going to be enforced and under what "legal" authority does the Mayor, or the Governor for that matter, have to put in place an edict? Has the legislature passed a resolution or law granting that authority to the Governor or Mayor? How much are you willing to give up? Are you willing to allow a city Mayor, even with majority of the public in support for religeous reasons, to edict that all women must cover their face in public? Where is the line? Before you launch into me, I wear a mask in public and encourage others to do so but I worry about what we are willing to do to our Constitutional Freedoms.
Good for you for wearing a mask; we do as well, and after a day of initial strangeness, it now feels strange to NOT have it on.

But on to your point. Its this inbred belief that many Americans possess; that they have to the constitutional right to do whatever the hell they want - that will stretch this pandemic on here in the USA for much longer than other places that had the discipline to do a true shutdown. We are already seeing sighs of that.

Thinking our freedom is in danger is the wrap that is put around it to make it sound like a valid issue, when most just want to go to Buffalo Wild Wings.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
The Governor of Maine has been making these decisions on her own, without the House or Senate's approval or input. Both sides of the aisle are upset over this and hearing it daily from their constituents. This essentially makes her a "self appointed dictator" (as said to me by a State rep who is on the Governors side but pissed about not being included in the process) as she is ignoring our State Constitution. As the ex Attorney General she really should know better and should have included our elected officials in these decisions.

Infractions under the Governors orders are considered a Class E crime (misdemeanor). How enforceable, after this is all over, who knows... We have a State Constitution and an elected Senate and House to do the job of passing laws, none of which were actually drawn up by the House & Senate nor voted on, just "Executive Orders" from the Governors office.

Still, the Governor is fining businesses and people for violating these orders and we'll need to see how it washes out. Right now their is a large class action suit taking place and many others in the works.

My wife's old business partner died of an MI two weeks ago, at the age of 49, he was in very good shape with zero underlying heart related issues. He dropped dead in his kitchen, in front of both children, three hours after having to lay off his staff. My wife can't even think straight right now as he was a very close friend to both of us. It's really too bad these types of cases are not being considered. A local guy drank himself to death after his AA meetings were shut down by the Governor. He had been sober for years. My wife has patient who she believes is now addicted to opiates after her hip replacement surgery was put on hold and she was on pain killers for the last three months. How many cases like these are out there that we'll never hear about?

A good friend had to lay off over 200 employees and is now about to lose the entire business, a business he spent the last 32 years building from absolutely nothing. He employed close to 250 Mainers who likely will be out of work permanently.His suit is a bit different as he is going after the Governor for acting without the input or approval of the House & Senate, because there are no laws that actually back what she did. Interesting to say the least.