Maine Sail update

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
In case you haven't heard, Maine Sail (some people call him Rodd Collins) had a medical event last week that left us all with more questions than answers. I just got off the phone with his brother and we finally have some details to share.

Rodd had a hemorrhagic stroke. He survived that -- many people would not -- and is now out of the ICU. While he's quite weak and dealing with limited movement, he is regaining his sense of humor and joking with nurses.

He starts rehab tomorrow so in the coming weeks he'll have a better idea of how this will unfold, but I'm told it's likely to be a long road back. Well, I should say it would be a long road for most people but if there's anyone who can put his mind to something and get it done, it's Rodd.

There's not much we can do right now to make things better for him, but I'm going to take the liberty of suggesting this:

If Rodd has ever given you some good advice, or solved an issue on your boat from 3,000 miles away, or recommended a product that did exactly what you needed, please consider making a donation through his website, https://marinehowto.com/support/. Just scroll down and click the Donate button. This will not only help his family during Rodd's recovery but help ensure his sites are still around and maintained when he's ready to jump back into the marine biz.

While this is extremely sad and disturbing news, I can't help but smile when I think of Rodd gaining strength, doing his research, and coming up with a plan that will leave him in better shape than he was in when it happened. If there's anyone who can pull it off, Maine Sail's the guy.

Of course, we will post additional updates as we have them.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Phil, thank you for the update.

Most of what I know about marine electrical systems has come from Rodd. He has always been patient and kind while helping me learn. I wish him a speedy and complete recovery.

A donation will be forthcoming.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Wow, I didn't know. Years ago on a Maine cruise my wife and I met Rodd and shared an hour and a drink onboard our sailboat. Over the years Rodd has helped me via phone calls and email. Yes I have bought some of his products and I consider him to be a wonderful source of learning and advice. Our best wishes for a rapid and complete recovery go out to him.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I've always enjoyed reading Maine Sail's posts and I certainly want to continue reading his posts for many more years to come.
He's been great help manyatime. It's time we help him.
Thank you for sounding out and providing the donation link.

Ken Y

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Sad news. What an incredible amount of help and information he has shared over the years. I certainly wish him a speedy recovery.

Just made a donation. I don't know why these things pop into my head but I hope it's not considered taxable income to him because it's to his business.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I even reference his posts to non-boating people. This is sad indeed.
Prayers and donations are great ideas.

Ken

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Phil,

Thank you for updating us on Rodd's situation. He has been a great resource to these forums. I was happy to contribute to his website. I hope it helps in some way.

Allan

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
There have been some excellent advances in stroke recovery, may Rodd benefit from them all and get back to health sooner than expected. This is indeed sad and disturbing news, may he rebound remarkably. My prayers are with him and his family.

Thank you for the updates.

dj

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
wow, so sad to hear. He has helped us in so many ways.

we all need to support him in our thoughts, prayers, and donations if within your means.

also, we all need not to do anything stupid with our DIY work while he is out, knowing he won't be here to steer us in the right direction.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I am shocked beyond words to hear of your misfortune. Please take the greatest of care with yourself.

You have no idea how much you are needed and appreciated at SBO. I'm sure this goes in spades as far as your family and loved ones are concerned.

I wish you a speedy recovery and that you came back even stronger than before.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Thanks Phil, for the info. Maine Sail is one of the many great contributors on SBO, I hope to get the chance to meet. My father recently has gone through very similar issues and after a year and with other problems like cancer and, last week, a broken hip, his recovery from his stroke is astounding. As rgranger said, the medical world has come a long way.

Good luck and I'm sure I'll be able to meet the man behind the wisdom someday soon.

-Will

Jun 3, 2015
S&S 34 Port Washington
What terrible news. Both Rod and his website are just a fantastic resource. I have respected the man from a distance for a long time, but more recently I have been exchanging emails with him in connection with a planned re-wire. His response time was not only ridiculously fast, but he had really helpful and detailed comments (not surprising, I know). He didn't respond to my last email, and I actually logged on here to check on him. I wasn't expecting to see this though. Rooting for him to pull through this.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Wow! I met him at Annapolis some years ago, straight up guy. Bought Butyl from him also, will, was touched by his gushing message of thank you...headed to the donate link now. Phil, please keep it front and center !