Maine is open to visiting sailors in 2021.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I'll have my 2nd shot on Tuesday so I will look forward to the freedom to travel! I think I would like to make it as far as Buzzard's Bay / MV /Nantucket this summer if I can get Sue to vaccinate. She is decidedly anti-vaccine but showing signs of weakening if she resigns herself to the reality that it may be the only ticket to freedom. She is not on the eligible list yet, but it should be soon.

Dec 11, 2017
Kells Coaster Bar Harbor
Tom, Hello from Bar Harbor. I'm in the process as we speak of upgrading from my current Kells 23 (photo) to a Pearson 36-2 for the primary reason of seeing more of our coast and beyond. If you intend on coming up this way during the summer, give a shout and I maybe able to get you a guest mooring either at the BHYC or in town. Depending on a host of variables, I hope to make Monhegan and or Vinyl Haven this summer, as my wife goes there to paint. (Now that I've said that in print, the deal will probably fall through. Superstitious? Who me?) And no, I won't head out on a Friday!

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
No deer flies out there. I lived in rural Vermont for decades. I hated those things. :)

I don't know the scientific name but these are just big horse flies and they season the same as mosquitos. They are not that common, like the green heads down south, but you may find a few most anywhere.

The bite is the same as any horsefly and they don't come on swarms. They're a little slow and easy to swat. It can be a shock when you see the size!

In most of the Penobscot Bay area, and east and west of it, it's pretty arid along the coast and the prevailing breeze makes mosquitos less of a nuisance than many coasts I've sailed.

But we've been attacked by clouds on a few occasions in a few well known areas to have them.
we got attacked on one trip entering Penn bay from the south, ironically as we were passing mosquito Island! They can be over an inch long and are hard to kill; one landed on our cockpit cushion and I nailed him with an electric flyswatter, watched him spark and burn for maybe 20 seconds while my crew got his topsider off and beat him - I used the flyswatter to flip him off the stern and, as we watched, he popped off the water and flew back aboard!

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I'll have my 2nd shot on Tuesday so I will look forward to the freedom to travel! I think I would like to make it as far as Buzzard's Bay / MV /Nantucket this summer if I can get Sue to vaccinate. She is decidedly anti-vaccine but showing signs of weakening if she resigns herself to the reality that it may be the only ticket to freedom. She is not on the eligible list yet, but it should be soon.
A lot of things to be afraid of, but getting flu shots every year has been our ticket to sailing and we look at the Covid the same way. Glad we got our card to make our trip next year to the Bahamas easier. I'm sure traveling to Maine will be easier, too, without to worry of catching something from shore leave.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
we got attacked on one trip entering Penn bay from the south, ironically as we were passing mosquito Island! They can be over an inch long and are hard to kill; one landed on our cockpit cushion and I nailed him with an electric flyswatter, watched him spark and burn for maybe 20 seconds while my crew got his topsider off and beat him - I used the flyswatter to flip him off the stern and, as we watched, he popped off the water and flew back aboard!
Sounds like The Terminator Fly :yikes: When does the movie come out?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
If it's still in containment in Maine I'll post a picture when I get back up there. We were sure no one would believe us so we got one in a jar :yikes:
You still have one in a jar - dude, careful entering the room, it might be pissed off... ;)

dj