Main Sheet Traveller

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Lynch

Long-time sailor, first time owner! 1981 H-27, sweet condition and ready to sail. My wife and I take possession late April. I have immersed myself with info about the 27. I would like to replace main traveller with Harken system, spanning the companionway forward. I read that the cabin top is strengthened by aircraft grade aluminum. I would need SS backing plates inside the cabin to disperse the load, I would imagine. Are these plates available anywhere? I have not spoken with Harken yet, only web page info. Also, how difficult is it to drill through the aluminum plates? Thanx for your replies and again, I am thrilled to be a new owner of this classic.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
John, check Garhauer too.

John: Also check with Garhauer for this type of setup. They have VERY good prices and nice quality. They are the OEM for Catalina. They are actually the mfg of the items they sell.

S

Sam Lust

More traveler talk

Forget the Aluminum. There's not enough there to wrap a pack of cigarettes. See my earlier post regarding the Garhauer traveler set up on my 33. Then buy the Garhauer, it's a great value.

D

David Foster

Why move the traveller?

Aft of the cockpit behind the tiller of our h27 seems like a good place to me. And I understand (from other posts) that it's generally better to attach to the end of the boom. Just (and genuinely) curious. David Lady Lillie

T

TOM MANALILI

response to david and to john.

The 81, has a 6 sheave 5 block set up, and is noy considered a "traveler" like your older version, and the newer cross companionway travelers, but the 5 block, system works well with a 4 to 1 boom vang, without it, when the main sheet is released, the boom is lifted, thus dumping air at tje top of the main, making the leech loose.

J

Jim Rice

Aluminum Plates

Just installed new blocks for the same mainsheet setup. Found some kind of aluminum sandwiched in the cabintop below these mounting points. Still used fender washers and locking nuts under the blocks (vs tapped threads in the (?) plates). PS--Why add a traveller? Over the cabintop--would interfere with a bimini. In front of the companionway hatch--interferes with getting in and out of the cabin, and a potential safety hazard. Wheel--forget the traveller in the aft (tiller) position. In front of the wheel--you lose the starboard lazarette. From what I've read, the current setup plus a boom vang will do to flatten the main. And no, I haven't tried it myself--the vang will be added next year.

Jan 22, 2003
Hunter 25_73-83 Burlington NJ
This subject comes up again!!!

Wow! --is this topic STILL around? [laugh] I have responded to this question several times in the past and I hope my comments are still in the HOW archives– look under '27 Traveller' or whatever. The BEST place for the traveller on this 27 is (unfortunately for some) across the front edge of the cockpit right across the companionway-- I mean in the cokcpit where the bridge deck ought to be, not on the coachroof. I KNOW this involves 'awkwardness' issues but if you want to know where it SHOULD go, that's where. When the boat was designed Hunter had this thing for making the boat 'seem' bigger than it was. One of the 'big-boat' features was a roomy 'family' cockpit-- but really, the boat is barely bigger than a 25 and in posterity it has got the sad reputation for being something trying to be more than it should be. This is unfortunate because it might have been (and still might be) a pretty terrific little boat, ESPECIALLY for a family. The archives will detail my suggestions, from a design and sailing standpoint, for adding a real workable traveller and a rack-and-pinion steering system to this boat, two improvements which will GREATLY improve the sailing characteristics and utilty of the 27. I realise many people will insist on more 'convenience' (a word which always brings with it some issue of compromise) but I seriously have to ask how many people seriously expect to do serious sailing with a Bimini top in place. On our Hunter 25 and the Raider 33 we sat under the dodger for shade and on the 33 and the 44 we 'flew' an umbrella off the stern pulpit for the helmsman, but neither of these were ever in place during 'serious' sailing (racing, heavy weather, passagemaking, etc). With due respect for those to whom I now seem like a broken record, let me just suggest that a sailboat owner often needs to seriously ask himself just what he wants to use the boat for. If a Bimini top is more important to you than safety or mainsail trim, then by all means locate the traveller across the middle of the coachroof, where having ability to put more stress on the middle of the boom ought to increase your potential for breaking it in two during what some would call 'serious' sailing. If you are more interested in improving sailing characteristics and safety, then please look up my storied comments in the HOW archives or EMail me. As a reminder, I was there when these early Hunter boats were designed and am happy to advise those with queries about what might happen if one were do do this or that, especially as regards what may happen to rigging, sail trim, strength of materials, weather-worthiness, etc. But this has all been said before! J Cherubini II Cherubini Art & Nautical Design Org.

Status
Not open for further replies.