Main sheet purchase ratio for a Hunter 28.5

Nov 4, 2018
Hunter 28.5 Catawba Island, OH
Got home from the boat this morning after two wonderful days of sailing. My main sheet though is driving me nuts. Actually all of the running rigging and tackle needs replacing. But I'm on a budget here, and the main sheet is the most annoying right now.
The current setup is a two line 4:1/8:1 with 1/2" line. The boom is sheeted at 2/3's length. So, should I spend the big bucks and replace the system as is? Or, is a less expensive single line 4:1, 7/16" adequate? I'm a fair weather cruiser (Put my time as macho all or nothing mountain climber when I young, dumb and invincible - been there, done that).

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2016
Hunter 28.5 Lake City, MN
I have a Hunter 28.5 also, and I just replaced the halyards for the main as well as the jib a few weeks ago. Also, I replaced the jib sheets.

I replaced the main sheet a couple years ago with a three eights inch. I don’t remember what the length was. I think I have a 6 to 1 purchase on the main sheet (I can recheck later this week). Seems to me that it might have been 50 foot. The three eights line was plenty big for the main sheet. Replacing the half-inch with the three eights was a big handling improvement.

The previous owner had all half-inch lines everywhere, which as it turns out, are too large for the boat. I replaced both the halyards with 7/16 instead of 1/2 inch, and found out that the clutch for both would now allow me to tighten them using the winch without loosening the clutches. That was a big PLUS!

I also ended up cutting off some of the excess line length on the halyards and jib sheets. All three started out as 100 foot lengths.

The jib sheet, I started out cutting in half and tying to the jib. However I also ended up cutting 16 feet of both halves. What I should have done was to tie the center off on a caribeener to clip to the jib clew and start with a 68’ length. Lastly, I tied a loop on each end to loop for over the winches when in the dock. That was plenty of length without having so much extra. (I have a furling jib.)

Both the halyards also started off as 100 foot lengths also, but I cut 16 feet off of both of them to eliminate the unneeded length. However, I wished that I had left the full 100 length on the main halyard (only) to allow for the MOB situation to allow pulling someone out of the water with the winch, should the need arise. To correct the situation, I keep the other 16 foot length in the port storage under the port seat for that situation.

I did not buy real expensive lines for the replacements, and I have been happy with them.

I really like the 28.5, it’s been a very good boat for us.

Mike

Nov 4, 2018
Mike,
I'm most interested in your main sheet setup. So . . .
- 6:1 purchase ratio with 3/8's line, yes?
- What blocks did you use?
- Picture, please.
Thanks,
Alec

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
3/8 inch Samson Trophy Braid, it's the fuzzy stuff that feels good in your hand without the bulk of the 1/2 inch stuff, The smaller diameter line will reduce friction through the blocks considerably, You could also convert the second line (8:1) to 5/16 for better performance. Sorry for the HUGE image.

Jun 1, 2016
Red Dog,

I finally got some pictures of the Traveler and the equipment for my Main Sheet.
As you can see, there are 3 pulleys connected to the traveler, and the traveler is a Schaefer, which I'm assuming is original equipment from where the boat was build (88).

My boat also had 1/2" line on the main sheet when I bought it, but I replaced it with 3/8" line which is nice to handle and works very well. I'm pretty sure that it was a 50' length that I put on, which gives me plenty of length for letting the main out on the down wind run.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Mike

Traveler 1_800x450.jpg
Traveler 2_800x450.jpg

Attachments

Nov 4, 2018
Thanks, Mike
That's how I thought you had done it, just wanted to make sure. I'll be using Harken triple blocks top and bottom, with the bottom having the cam and becket: blocks can handle up to 1/2". I'm also replacing the Rutgerton (sp?) traveler (2:1) with a Lewmar (4:1).
3/8" line seems a bit small to me, though, both you and Joe both use it and seem happy with it. May go with 3/8" and jump up to 7/16" if I don't feel comfortable with the 3/8".

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2016
I don’t see any reason to use 1/2” line. Keep in mind the you are multiplying the pull with the 6x factor of the pulleys.

3/8 really should be just fine.

Mike