Main Sheet Cleat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Anyone ever replace the pathetic main sheet deck cleat, what hardware did you use, screwed into what?

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
There is an aluminum plate 1/8" below deck surface in which the clutches are screwed into.
I just added a main sheet line clutch as seen in pictures with screws just as other clutches were fastened.

paulj :troll:

Attachments

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Cam Cleat

For my sailing style I adjust the main far too often to use a clutch. I would prefer a swivel cam cleat.
Did you tap the plate for threads or just use course self tapping screws?
http://www.murrays.com/archive/28.pdf
The 2503010 is what I plan to use.
I like you line handling system
Tom

Last edited:

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Drilled pilot holes first then used SS course thread self tapping screws and beded it with RTV.

paulj :troll:

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Simple Solution

I used some plastic board I had sitting around, some longer screws and a Harken Cam-Cleat to add this. In light air the cam cleat takes the load and in heavier air the jam cleat does. Works great. Ray

Attachments

May 24, 2004
Catalina 310 Virginia Beach, VA
I used some plastic board I had sitting around, some longer screws and a Harken Cam-Cleat to add this. In light air the cam cleat takes the load and in heavier air the jam cleat does. Works great. Ray

That looks like a great set up. Thanks for sharing

Attachments

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Re: Simple Solution

So you raised the original Jam cleat as well.
Did you do this because the aluminum backing plate did not extend far enough aft to provide proper anchor for the cam cleat? Thus the screws that mount the cam cleat have nuts inset on the underside of the plastic board and don't penetrate the deck at all. Only the original bolts that mount the jam cleat hold the entire assembly to the deck. Nice design. What is "plastic board"?
Tom

Sep 29, 2008
So you raised the original Jam cleat as well.
Did you do this because the aluminum backing plate did not extend far enough aft to provide proper anchor for the cam cleat? Thus the screws that mount the cam cleat have nuts inset on the underside of the plastic board and don't penetrate the deck at all. Only the original bolts that mount the jam cleat hold the entire assembly to the deck. Nice design. What is "plastic board"?
Tom
My original idea was that I wanted to just raise the cam cleat hoping the more extreme angle would give more bite, but that didn't work. So I cut a new piece that was longer and added the cam cleat behind the jam cleat. The cam cleat I am using now (not the one in the picture is a [FONT=&quot]Harken Carbo-Cam Model 365). As it is carbon fiber, it is very smooth to operate and does not chew up the rope. I have attached a drawing of the dimensions. Note the 1/4" cutout on the one side as it butts up against other installed clutches. Plastic board is what I have always called poly-teak and it is the marine board that west marine sells - I used 3/8" thick stuff. It is a little pricey, but I had some sitting around (actually it was in the trash) that was just enough. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]There is also a 2nd smaller piece you need to cut for the cam cleat to sit on so it is raised up enough from the output of the jam cleat. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The cam cleat end does hang over so that the ends of the screws can fit - they also do not penetrate the hull or gel coat. I don't recall their length, but they are just long enough to go though the cleat and the two piece of board.

Note that I do not like to drill holes if I can avoid it, so I re-used the Catalina plate and its threaded holes. When I took the original/factor aluminum screws out I replaced them with stainless steel ones that we about 3/8 to 1/2" longer. That way if I was unhappy wit it I could just back it all out and go back to the original setup. But, as I said I am really thrilled with the set up as it allows me to pretty much single hand and not move from behind the wheel to let the main in and out. It has worked like a champ in 31 knots of wind and releases with just a snap of my wrist on the line. For about $20.00 and no drilling it was a great investment.

If sailboatowners.com wants to make these and sell them I would be happy to give them the design.[/FONT]

Attachments

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Thanks Ray

for your detailed response!!
I may have a piece of white Corian that should work.
How does the horizonal offset to the winch affect the feed over the inside cam under load?
I will let you know how it turns out.
Tom

Sep 29, 2008
for your detailed response!!
I may have a piece of white Corian that should work.
How does the horizonal offset to the winch affect the feed over the inside cam under load?
I will let you know how it turns out.
Tom
There is no problem. The jam cleat lines up the line for the cam cleat and I screwing the jam cleat down into the original factory holes.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Ray,
I did not articulate my concern correctly.
When the sheet is placed under load using the winch the sheet will pull up and out of both cleats (remember that stupid red wire that use to be there). How can you relax the sheet back into the cam cleat again while maintaining the load on the boom when the sheet is so much higher and pulling inward toward the winch? Wouldn't be better to use a swivel cam cleat with a saddle on top to keep the sheet captive and basically in-line, that way the sheet will always be running through the cam.
I'm shooting from the hip here not being able to get aboard and really understand the angles. The next time I'm at the boat I will investigate further.
Thanks,
Tom

Sep 29, 2008
Tom, I see your point, but I have a couple of observations. I bought my boat used from the original owner and when I got the boat I did not have the red wire. I have seen them in the store, but never having used one did not see a use for it - I guess it is just to keep the line near the cleat. Most of the time unless I am in real extreme conditions and most likely racing I do not use the winch to work the main sheet, I just plant a foot and pull. Since I am behind the wheel doing this I have a bit of leverage.

You may be right about a swivel cam, but I suspect you are going to have a bit of trouble having enough strength in the swivel to handle the load. I suspect you would be better to just use the self tailing portion on the winch. This makes releasing the line a little more troublesome, but when I am racing that is what crew is for. I simply went for the simplest configuration that involved little to no mods to the boat and for how I sail it is perfect.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
I have been concerned that the swivel cleat I purchased (545061)http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...reNum=2&subdeptNum=332&classNum=12351breaking rated at 310lb may fail under extreme load condition. Originally I had planned to remove the jam cleat, but your idea of leaving it there may provide the option to transfer the load to the jam cleat under extreme conditions. I think the line entry height from the swivel eye into the jam cleat will be critical. Too high and you will need to push down hard on the line into the jam cleat to get it to catch. Too low and it will catch when you don't want it to in lighter conditions. I will have to play with it to see.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I just bought my second one on Ebay for $25. It is a Shaeffer 241 cam cleat on a swivel base. I replaced the eye on the slide to the genoa track. Gave it a dry run yesterday and it work well. I have tried it with other setups that were similar but had trouble with the sheets jamming and dragging. I am really looking forward to using it. It jas always been a concern of mine, when soloing, having to lean over to the lee side when needing to reduce heel or weather helm. I should be able to do it all from the highside of the boat.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
The 310 has no fairlead eye between the track car roller and the winch. Nice idea for single handling, not sure what kind of line hazard is created in the cockpit from cross sheating.

Mar 30, 2007
Catalina 310 Manalapan, NJ
I met Ray at the boat show last year. We discussed his modification of the mainsheat cleat & he was kind enought to send me the parts (sections of what appeared to be Starboard Marine Grade Polyethylene). What a difference. It made the previousy frustrating task of trimming the main a pleasure. I found a Harken cleat that fit "perfectly". It is still somewhat difficult to trim the main in heavy weather but this modification is great. It is well though out and requires no xtra holes. I broke the fairlead of the original cam cleat but it seems to make no great difference. HooRay Ray. Jeff.

Attachments

Sep 29, 2008
Jeff, Are you still thinking of going to the Baltimore boat show next week? I am probably going on Sunday as we have the Potomac River Yacht Club Association annual meeting and change of watch on Saturday.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Hey RP,
Planning to go Suday aft. as well, maybe we will bump into one another.
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.