Main sail slides

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff Stone

I'm thinking of Havencraft installing sail slides on my mainsail. I do alot of single handed sailing and there has to be a better way of getting my main up. Any comments would be appreciated "Kepi" 89 Mac

M

Mark A.

Try Sail Care

This summer I installed Slide Boss system on my Mac 26. Took about an hour to install. Works great. Real smooth. I also highly recommend a top lifting kit if you don't have one. This way when you drop your sail, your boom stays in place. It is a must for reefing solo and if you want to install a bimini.

C

Curtiss Grant

Raising Mainsail

A far cheaper, all be it not as complete, is to use a PVC pipe, about 12" long and 5/8" OD, cost 84 cents. The length may vary based on the positioning of the slug channel opening. The PVC pipe sits in the mast channel and the top of the PVC comes to the top of the entry opening of the slug channel thereby preventing the slugs from dropping down into the channel and out all over EVERYPLACE. With all sail slugs in the mast track and about 2 feet above the boom pole, insert the PVC into the slug entry channel like a sail slug and push it up the mast pole inside the mast channel until the bottom of the PVC pipe slips in the mast channel. Then let the PVC pipe fall down until it rest on the ribbets of the boom pole connection. The sail slugs will rest on the top of the PVC pipe and will not fall out of the channel. When lowering the sail, I wrap a shock cord around the sail and boom to keep the sail out of the way. I place the shock just at the back of the second batten which I can reach from the companion way steps. I then wrap the reefing line around the back part of the sail and boom pole. A top lift would be nice but since one does not leave the cockpit, hooking the boom pole to the backstay is not a big chore. When you want to remove the sail, raise the sail slugs up about 2 feet above the boom pole, push the PVC pipe up the mast pole channel until the bottom of the pipe is in the entry channel, insert a small item in the bottom of the PVC pipe, pull out on the bottom, bending the pipe until it can slide out side of the channel. Life is MUCH better! NOW, If I could get the MAC to stay on course without constantly being at the tiller, life would be OH SO VERY MUCH better!! Tiller Tamer is still marginal. Good Luck!

B

Bill Jutz

Adding Sail Slugs

Hi, I just made the same mod. It only cost about $25 and took about 15 minutes to finish. Just follow the directions on the link below. I would recommend spacing the slugs 20 inches apart and getting 3 packs for a total of 15 slugs. Enjoy, Bill Jutz 2002 Mac26X

J

Jerry Crowder

Havencraft/sail slugs

I went via Havencraft. They did a good job. It's made a big difference in the enjoyment of sailing. Next, I plan a topping lift. So, you might as well do it all at once, if you've got the money. Most companies charge about the same. Choice is, do it yourself, as others have posted, or send it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.