Main sail location

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 9, 2005
- - Stratford, CT
I replaced the cable halyards on my Ranger 26 with rope with the intent of moving the controls back to the cockpit. I was going to put an organizer, winch and rope clutch on deck. I had a splice done on the new halyard with a shackle for hoisting the main sail. The problem is, when the splice was done, at the splice point, the rope is a little thicker and when I raise my sail it won't go up all the way. It binds in the head. It is about 4" short of the head. Can I lower the cunningham track those 4 inches, which will lower the boom so my sail will be fully extended? Thanks in advance, Bob

B

Barnacle Bill

I guess you can do that but......

I suppose you could lower your gooseneck track, but then that will lower the boom which takes away headroom on those wild heavy air gybes (ouch), etc. Or, you can make up another halyard out of wire rope and go back to original. It is tough to spend money on something you cannot use, but I hate to see boats bastardized or modified for something like because a splice has entered the mix. Another option is, if you don't want to buy another halyard, is to cut off the splice and tie on the shackle with a bowline knot, which might not take up as much room as the splice. If you make up a new main halyard out of wire and rope, then maybe you can shift your all rope main halyard that you just bought to a new spinnaker halyard. That way you haven't really wasted your money (unless you bought a new spinnaker halyard too). Good luck.

Heffy

Jun 29, 2006
Ranger 30 San Diego
Mainsail location

Bob I agree with Bob tie a knot. look at the J-24 websites they use a knot to tie their halyards. Also, The technology with lines (rope) has had a big jump. I have a Ranger 30 and use hight tech line with little to no stretch and they are less than 1/4 in diameter. The strength is well over 10,000lbs and that is what the boat weighs! I have had the lines on for well over 5 years and no troubles. I used two brands one was "stiffer" than the other I prefere the softer coiling line. Its easier to handle and stow. Just as an asside a radical buddy of mine uses 1/8 in diameter line on his 40 footer and no problem. (however, gloves are still manditory not as bad as wire but hard on the pinkies!) Line is fairly cheap and old halyards are always good for something. I've used them for a million things! Good Sailing - Heffy

Status
Not open for further replies.