Main Sail Issue

Mar 15, 2024
hunter 36 fort myers beach
Furling it in was not going in easy due to the halyard on top not having enough pressure. I corrected that by putting a lot of pressure on the halyard. The main sail does not come out freely unless I unwind it with the inhal line or go to the base of the mast and use the ratchet to unfurl it while at the same time I pull the line of the outhaul. It did not use to be like this.
Any suggestions?

Mar 27, 2021
Hunter 306 Lake Pepin
How long ago was it working properly? It's possible to put too much tension on the halyard. Your sail could be old and baggy and bunching up as it's pulled out/in. Your boom angle could cause problems. Maybe not enough outhaul tension when furling in prior to unfurling. Maybe your outhaul car is too far forward.
This is a good thread to read: In mast 'piece of crap' furling system | Sailboat Owners Forums

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Rod, aka MaineSail, continues to contribute to SBO and other platforms, though not as prolifically as he did before the stroke. The stroke caused significant physical impairments which forced him to close his business. He continues vet products and make recommendations through his affiliate links and his Amazon store. He is a bit more active on his 2 FB groups on Boat Electrical Systems and Drop-in LiFePO4 Batteries.

Entering Amazon through his store will earn him a small commission for anything you buy on Amazon. An easy way to support someone who has given much to the recreational boating DIYers.

• Helpful
Mar 15, 2024
hunter 36 fort myers beach
How long ago was it working properly? It's possible to put too much tension on the halyard. Your sail could be old and baggy and bunching up as it's pulled out/in. Your boom angle could cause problems. Maybe not enough outhaul tension when furling in prior to unfurling. Maybe your outhaul car is too far forward.
This is a good thread to read: In mast 'piece of crap' furling system | Sailboat Owners Forums
Thank you so much this worked. I had too much tension on the halyard. I had to keep the bang with tension when furling it in and out.

Oct 2, 2012
Fountain Pajot Bahia 46 128 Abroad
Hey Julio, and others, one overlooked maintenance for Selden In Mast furling is lubricating the TOP bearing. Scheduled for every year. The mainsail gets dropped to get the main halyard out of the way, and you need a small sirenge to get the grease in the hole in the top bearing cap. Check out your manuel for your mast for other lubrication areas.
Post a photo of your mainsail sheeted tight, beating angle, and we can see if it needs recutting or replacement.
I have many years with this system and it can be a bear but the wife can reef/furl the 750 sq ft mainsail with a 22 foot long boom.
Glad yours is working better!!!