Main sail furling

Apr 21, 2009
O'Day 37 CC Windsor Lake St Clair
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had experience with adding a main sail furling system? There seems to be two theories. One that duplicates a regular jib/genoa system mounted vertical on the mast. Loose foot sail just like the big production boats with in mast furling. $2000-$3000. The other being boom furling like a Schaefer System $12.000 and comes with a new sail.
I'm a cruiser on the Great Lakes.
Thank you, imbrewster

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
One of the boats I sail for the company I work for has an aft mast main furling system similar to a roller furling headsail. Very easy to deploy and furl. Also, very easy to adjust the outhaul. I know I'm going to take some heat for this, but I prefer the aft mast setup over the in-mast because of the ease of furling. My experience with in mast furling has not been so great. The need to have the boom at the exact right angle to the wind to furl is a pain and if the main gets a wrinkle while furling you usually have to start over. Also, if the furling line or some other piece of equipment fails and you have to get that sail in right now there is no way that I have found to quickly drop it. I like keeping things simple. Just my opinion. Don't beat me up.
Roland
s/v Fraulein II

Jun 28, 2009
1984 O'Day 28 Bath, NC
When I bought my O28 it already had the behind the mast furler. I will say I was skeptical at first, I was already making plans to remove it before I signed the papers. During the 4 hours sail home that day I was sold on it. If I bought another boat it would be the first thing I added.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2009
O'Day 37 CC Windsor Lake St Clair
Thank's Tom for your update. I have decided to add the CDI main sail behind the mast furler to ZEA in the spring ready for next years season. Many factors stick out. A fraction of the cost for say a Schaefer or Forespar boom furler while no jamming problems like an actual in mast furling system. Installs easily and allows for a DIY project if desired.A six year warranty speaks to reliability. CDI is now a Canadian company in Winnipeg Manitoba and should make it a bit easier for shipping eh!

Davil

Jan 20, 2020
Cape Dory 30 MKII 1987 Cape Dory 30 MKII 1987 Pine Knoll Shores NC
Hi
reviewing posts on CDI mast Furler.
did you imbrewster installed it?
Have a Cape Dory 30 and wonder about your experience and/or any other sailor ?
thanks
David