Main / Jib Halyard Spec. According to Maual

Aug 2, 2014
Hunter H31 VISA
One of my winter projects will be to replace the halyards on my 94 H26. The manual says that the halyards are 81' (main) and 72' (jib) with a size of 5/16. 5/16 seems a little small and I was wondering what others have replaced theirs with. Also, are these lengths adequate or should I order extra? Thank you for your help in advance.

Dan

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I know they aren't the exact same boat but the H260 manual calls for 5/16" x 88'. I hope this helps. Oh, if Dave Condon sees this post he can give you the best advice.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
5/16 is not that small. if you take a tape measure and measure it, its actually quite a bit bigger.... but thats the way they measure rope.

and, 3/8 will be a bit snug in the sheaves, so it will wear quicker, and as it wears it fuzzes up a bit, which causes it to run tighter in the sheaves... use the 5/16".
as to length, think about if you will ever run the lines back to the cockpit... as expensive as yacht line is, get the right length for what you will want to do in a few months.
myself, I prefer a bit longer halyards/sheets than spec calls for...

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
The thing to watch out for on the 260 is jib sheet line running out of the sugar scope stern. The main sheet is over long. But that seems to be to serve the dual purpose of mast raising.

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 280 Lake Guntersville, AL
One of my winter projects will be to replace the halyards on my 94 H26. The manual says that the halyards are 81' (main) and 72' (jib) with a size of 5/16. 5/16 seems a little small and I was wondering what others have replaced theirs with. Also, are these lengths adequate or should I order extra? Thank you for your help in advance.

Dan
Can't speak to the length needed but decent 5/16" is plenty strong enough for cruising. For racing I'd suggest a high-tech 1/4" main halyard. Weighs less, runs through sheaves easier and has less stretch.