Main hard to raise

Jul 30, 2014
catalina 30 mkII Tall Rig bay city
I have the same issues. I love the Free rope track cleaning idea. I will do that first thing next time at the boat.
Thanks!

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
When I first got my 87 MkII I had the same issue. I attacked it by doing two things:
1 - Changed mast sheave from the solid one to the double ball-bearing type
2 - Changed the upper sail slides

I have to say that changing the sail slides made the biggest difference. I think the top one was metal and a bit worn, and some of the plastic ones too.

I really love the cleaning method described with the rope slug. Definitely going to do that now.

And as others have already stated, the boom/main sheet should be loose to be able to rise up without tension during that bit or it's going to be very hard.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Do you unstep the mast for the off season, or has it been unstepped recently ? The track side may have sustained a ding/dent at the point of resistance...

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
If you are anywhere close to needing a new main sail, look at adding a Tides Marine Strong track and the associated slides. I had to replace my main sail last year, and opted for full battens . I added the Strong track to help with friction, and it works very well. My old boat had a Hardin batt-car system, which was also nice.

Otherwise, run a rag or something up the track, and use some McLube or other dry lubricant in the track. If any of the slides are damaged, be sure to replace them too.

Greg

May 19, 2016
Catalina 30 Riverside, NJ
That's your problem. Your boom needs to rise as the sail goes up. You are preventing that by keeping the main sheet tight.

To raise your main you need to motor slowly directly into the wind, release the main sheet, vang and reefing lines completely. The boom needs to be able to swing freely. By motoring directly into the wind there is no wind putting pressure on the sail and slugs. You should be able to raise the sail by hand, then tension the luff using the cabin top winch.
The other reason to keep the main sheet loose is you don't want the main filling with wind while you are still raising the sail. That puts pressure on the sail and lugs and makes it much harder to raise the sail.

On my MkII TR, I raise the main by hand to about the last 6", then put the halyard on the cabin top winch and finish and tension the luff.
Ward,
This was awesome! I have been doing this all last year and making it much harder on myself by not releasing the mainsheet. I am embarrassed to say, I haven't been using the mainsheet or traveler at all, and just broad-reaching back and forth. I will try this next weekend,