Main Halyard for Catalina 315

May 28, 2021
Catalina 315 Ithaca, NY
I'm considering replacing the main halyard on my 2013 315. The current one seems to stretch unacceptably, especially in a strong breeze. What rope performs well for this task, given the furling mainsail? Is it advisable to go for a very-low-stretch line (ie., with a Dyneema core)?
I'm also not satisfied with the way the main halyard is set up. It runs through a rope clutch on the mast, but there's no real way to tension the line. Ideally, it would be led back to the cockpit, where I could use a winch. Or, I could mount a #6 winch on the mast. Any suggestions?
Bill Russell
"Little Wing" - 2013 Catalina 315, #009
Ithaca, NY

Aug 21, 2019
Catalina 315 18 Grosse Pointe Park, MI
I also have a 2013 c315, but my main halyard is led to the cockpit through a clutch on the cabin top. Also it does not have the stretch issue you have. The line itself is a bit thinner than I would have normally expected in a main halyard and perhaps is a Dyneema core line. I do not have a suggestion for you. But, I wonder if this was changed by Catalina between your hull #9 and my hull #18 to address this.

May 28, 2021
Catalina 315 Ithaca, NY
That's very interesting, Stephen. My clutches on the starboard side are rigged with the vang and the two furling lines for the main. Add the main sheet into that mix, and there are no line organizers available under the traveler to bring the halyard back to an (added) clutch. How is yours rigged?

Aug 21, 2019
As you can see from the pictures.

On the cabin top, port side, there is: traveler, spin halyard, jib halyard, outhaul and vang.
On the starboard side: main furlers, main halyard and main sheet.

Attachments

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Fellow 315 owner here. I recently replaced most of the running rigging on my 2014, including the main halyard..

Whatever you do, do NOT use the figures they have in the manual for length. I did that and it was short. I called to let them know that the lengths they give their manual are a complete work of fiction. They gave me new lengths over the phone. They were also fictitious. Order based on the length of the line that you currently have.

Aug 21, 2019
Fellow 315 owner here. I recently replaced most of the running rigging on my 2014, including the main halyard..

Whatever you do, do NOT use the figures they have in the manual for length. I did that and it was short. I called to let them know that the lengths they give their manual are a complete work of fiction. They gave me new lengths over the phone. They were also fictitious. Order based on the length of the line that you currently have.
Good advice, I will remember your post when I need to replace my running rigging. Frankly, I have not been impressed with Catalina phone support.

May 28, 2021
Catalina 315 Ithaca, NY
Stephen - thanks for the photos of your line arrangement. My boat does not have the fourth rope clutch on the port side to accommodate the vang. It will soon!

Sep 6, 2020
Catalina 315 74 Barrington, RI
Hi,

I have a 2021 315. The halyard, according to Selden, is dyneema. I think this is correct, as it's the thinnest working line on the boat, so it must be strong (i.e. dyneema). It's run down the mast, through a clutch on the mast, and then to a cleat on the mast. So, despite the dyneema halyard, I have the same occasional need to cinch it up. My solution is to run it through a snatch block on the toe rail and then back to the jib winch. Not ideal, but I only have to do it once in a while. Hope this helps.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@asalotto you could avoid the snatch block routing by adding a length of polyester cover to the dyneema halyard. The material is just too slippery for a clutch. The polyester cover sleeve solves that issue.