Main 110 breaker like never seen on this planet???

Jul 2, 2019
Hunter 310 Pine Beach, NJ
1998 Hunter 310 - The main AC breaker is 3 pole - hot, neutral, ground. Ground? Yeah. Never seen a breaker for ground. It's not just a disconnect, it's a breaker of a type I cannot even find reference to. Hot and neutral breakers tag list V=277V, C=30A, and TC=37.5A. I assume TC is tripping current. OK now l;ets go to the ground circuit breaker. V=(blank), C=(blank), TV=65.
Looks like if ground floats above 65v potential, this unicorn trips. I'm assuming TV is tripping voltage. I don't even know what this type of breaker is called and after a number of i'net searches, come up dry. Direct replacement for my system is obsolete as is a functional replacement. I am not concerned about losing this feature as no modern mfrs even make this type anymore and articles on marine wiring show only breakers on hot and neutral. Just curious if anyone has ever seen this unicorn before.

Jul 2, 2019
I will take pic later today. But rest assured it is exactly like I described. Thanks for the link to the part. Never thought Hunter store would have one. It showed I bought the last one in existence. How crazy is that? I zoomed in to read a different part number than my original then cross ref'd. That part I bought just now is also obsolete. Thanks guys.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The main reason for the 3 pole is to assure complete disconnect from Shore Power.

Also needed, if you have a Generator aboard.

By the way..,. They still make those breakers.

I had one get toasted from a shore lightning strike.
The new one from this site, just snapped in place easily.:biggrin:
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
There most likely should also be a diode attached acroos the terminals
No, but you should install a Galvanic Isolator on the Green wire.

I was recently told [ by Joe Kerr] that there is one installed down stream of that AC panel Breaker.

It was called "Zinc Saver" in that era of Hunter Boats.
Jim...

Jul 2, 2019
There is a diode. Also an aftermkt zinc saver. I know it (ground) breaks bc it has its own pole and it it clearly marked trip voltage not trip current like the other two poles. I'll post pictures of the labels on each segment tomorrow or tonight if I get done early enough.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
The main reason for the 3 pole is to assure complete disconnect from Shore Power.
Exactly the same as my '99 H-310 with the galvanic isolator downstream on the ground wire. Simply a 3 pole single throw breaker.

Anyone got access to the ABYC regs for a quote ?

Jul 2, 2019
ACF68327-5615-419A-856D-4CF9D78B7A6C.jpeg
Ok. You guys ca decipher. To me that says two modules our current activated one is voltage activated. You can see on the attached cartoon that the voltage module just listens to voltage across the diode from neutral. My guess is this was a very early attempt at turning a breaker into a GFI but I don’t have the time nor the inclination to research that. As far as us being airport you can buy from the manufacture, I have strong doubts. The tech sheet spec sheet posted above doesn’t even allow a way to choose multiple versions of modules in one breaker gang.

Attachments

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
After Looking at the rest of the diagram for your boat in the manual. it looks like the third component deals with the reverse polarity trip protection. here is a panelTronics breaker that appears to have the same specs

You can also search on the upc. 602290204009

Maybe check with the site store to see if they can get you one?

Sorry. I see it was linked to in the earlier reply’s. The diode in the manual is to allow the reverse polarity light to illuminate even after the reverse polarity has caused the breaker to trip.

On the full wiring diagram you will note that the ground to shore connection doesn’t get broken. It simply uses this to trip the breaker when polarity is reversed.

Attachments

Last edited: