Maiden - the movie

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC
The film documentary, Maiden, just got nominated for an Oscar. How about that? A sailing movie.

One of our racing crew was invited and sailed on Maiden from Hawaii to Vancouver this past summer. The organization now (The Maiden Factor) promotes education and awareness for young women across the globe. Gotta say, the movie is quite inspirational. And it inspires more females to get into sailing - awesome!

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Saw the movie at U. Vic. Sept 17 this year. It's the best sailing movie I've seen. Very inspirational!

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
My wife, daughter and I watched the movie. Thought it was terrific.

Jan 22, 2008
Montgomery 17, Venture of Newport, Mirror sailing dinghy, El Toro sailing dinghy Mound, MN -- Lake Minnetonka
I just saw in Practical Boat Owner that Tracy Edwards and the original Maiden will be competing in a retro Whitbread event called the Ocean Globe Race in 2023, celebrating the 50th anniversary of the first Whitbread.
Henry

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I just saw in Practical Boat Owner that Tracy Edwards and the original Maiden will be competing in a retro Whitbread event called the Ocean Globe Race in 2023, celebrating the 50th anniversary of the first Whitbread.
Not sure I'd want to do that at 58. She's "a better man than I am, Gunga Din"!

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC
Henry
Interestingly the original Maiden was completely refurbished in 2016 thanks in part to the legacy (King of Jordan and his daughter). We’re talking full carbon mast etc. I know this because my friend did an ocean crossing on Maiden in August and told me. I met some of the crew who were skippered by Wendy Tuck. It’s a fully decked out boat. Fast! In fact they’ll be racing the Caribbean 600 in February 2020 and the Heineken regatta at St. Maarten I heard, albeit with a younger crew. Incidentally we will also be there on a boat too, co-skippered by Nikki Henderson (youngest skipper of the Clipper race, and who just sailed Greta Thunberg to Spain) who was also on Maiden for a leg....These are pretty salty and hardy women! Great role models for youngsters, both boys and girls.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Saw it in the theater as well with a group from WYC. About 50-50 men and women. Not just "spouses along for the ride", these gals sail, race, and win. Maiden was an excellent film and I have it on my list to purchase. It is available on Amazon now. Amazon.com: Maiden [Blu-ray]: Frank Bough, John Chittenden, Bruno Du Bois, Pat Edwards, Tracy Edwards, Bob Fisher, Howard Gibbons, Jo Gooding, Nancy Harris, Angela Heath: Movies & TV
You guys peaked my interest enough for me to track down where we can see the film near here. It’s showing in Santa Monica at Laemmle Monica Film Center twice daily, 1:30 and 7:20 pm, tomorrow through Christmas Day. Today, there is one showing at 4:30 pm. We’ll catch one of these.:dancing:

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2014
Catalina 310 73 Monterey
I also highly recommend the movie. A great story well presented. What they accomplished was remarkable. A young and fairly inexperienced (in Southern Ocean racing) crew to do that well is amazing to me, male or female.
They stopped here in Monterey and gave a presentation at our yacht club well worth it!

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
A great movie, and not just for sailors. Anyone who appreciates an underdog story will enjoy this film. Well deserved Oscar nod.

But I am not so happy about the Ocean Globe Race news. Not that I don't think Tracy or the boat is up to the challenge; it's the race organization that causes me concern. It's the same group (Don McIntyre) who ran the recent reboot of the 1968 Golden Globe challenge. A great idea, but lots of management problems. The idea was to replicate the challenges the 1968 racers faced; toward that end, there were lots of restrictions on the types of boats that could race, as well as the technology they could use. You might not agree with all of the somewhat arbitrary rules, but everyone supposedly knew what they were going in. The big problems came in the enforcement of those rules. Mr. McIntyre enforced the rules against some of the competitors, but not others, and wound up changing the rules in the middle of the race. In the end, the winner of the race had clearly used banned spectra line to fix his breaking spreaders. No penalty was assessed. Can't have the bad press that would attach if the winner was disqualified. And did I mention: he's a personal friend of Mr. McIntyre?

Regardless, the retro vibe of the race has clearly caught on. They're running the race again, and have now expanded the concept to this Whitbread-style reboot. I came away from Maiden with a great respect for Tracy and the crew; for her sake, as well as all of the other participants, I hope Mr. McIntyre adopts a more professional approach to the race management. Or maybe the seat-of-the-pants management style is a feature he wants to stress?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Saw the film this afternoon in Santa Monica with Admiral and friends. It really is a good story and good film generally. We'd probably watch again if it were showing closer home.