Magnesium Anode Canadian Supply?

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
Have any of the Canadian forum guys found a supplier of Magnesium Anodes in Canada?

I looked at Boatzincs.com but their shipping is way out of line :naughty: and they use USPS which should be cheaper than UPS. $15 for an anode(good price) $40 shipping USPS( What the) ( that doesn't include duties ):eek:

I've had stuff sent from the USA that cost more and weighed more than one anode and the shipping was far less.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Have you asked your dockmates?

There are West Marine stores in Canada, I know for sure.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Call them for accurate shipping costs, there is a problem with their online shipping calculator.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
Spend $100 at BoatZincs.com and shipping is free.

Spend $75 at MarineAnodes.com and shipping is free. But their prices are higher.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
nothing is free in Canada (;-).

But check with your local chandlery. A lot of them would source it for you. My experience is that it should be cheaper than the original cost plus shipping from the US. YMMV.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
My question is how many are actually using Magnesium. I replaced the zinc on our Vari-prop this past spring after 8 seasons in the water, fresh water Great Lakes.
The Var-prop distributer reccomended zinc again and not magnesium with lots of people replacing magnesium yearly?

Prop still looks new except for typicall tarnishing, same as prop shaft.

Feb 26, 2011
My question is how many are actually using Magnesium. I replaced the zinc on our Vari-prop this past spring after 8 seasons in the water, fresh water Great Lakes.
An anode that last eight years is an anode that is not working.

Sep 20, 2006
An anode that last eight years is an anode that is not working.
Anode was 65% disintegrated and should have been replaced prior.

I saw no damage to prop, prop shaft or strut. So why is it not working?

Feb 26, 2011
Anode was 65% disintegrated and should have been replaced prior.

I saw no damage to prop, prop shaft or strut. So why is it not working?
Because it should deplete faster than that, as it is designed to do. Yes, you apparently did not suffer any adverse effects, but the physics do not lie. Zinc anodes are not electrically active enough to overcome the greater resistance of freshwater.

Sep 20, 2006
Because it should deplete faster than that, as it is designed to do. Yes, you apparently did not suffer any adverse effects, but the physics do not lie. Zinc anodes are not electrically active enough to overcome the greater resistance of freshwater.

I did replace with zinc, but can and always inspect each year at haul-out. Will be interesting how this one performs.

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
Just an update. I spoke with the local chandlery guy and he will order one for me with no shipping charge.