made homemade bow fenders for h260, is there store version?

Oct 8, 2023
Hunter 260 Kemah
Trying to avoid scratching my new h260 I cut up 2 "pill" rubber fenders and sailbungeeball thingies, to homemake 2 bow front fenders, so can come into slip fast with less fear. Ha. I imagine in hi seas these might get ripped off. But seems to work. SEE PHOTOS. Is there a 2-3 foot store version that is proven to work on h260, what is model???

P.S. I loaded 300 pounds of beer and stuff in front of boat and it raised rear of boat 3 inches, and rear depth finder is now out of water. But didn't raise the water level in ballast take from it's fairly high normal level. My boat maybe is heavy from sitting nonstop in ocean 20 years?

- D

Attachments

Last edited:

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sailing around with nose guards would not be my preferred look. If I did not trust myself to arrive at the dock safely, without damaging the bow, I would locate fenders on the dock that cushioned my approach. Being on the dock the fender would always be at the proper height to protect the bow, what ever occurred.

Nice work on your part. Take care with your slip arrivals.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have seen some folks use the front ”bumper” if they plan to be in marinas other than their own…but for my own marina, I would mount something on the dock.

I use a docking loop, that is just the right length that stops me from hitting the dock if I come in too hot. Works like a charm.

And dont forget the old adage…”Never approach the dock faster than you are willing to hit it”.

Oct 8, 2023
Hunter 260 Kemah
I think all should reevaluate and all get bow fenders!! This bias against em seems weird.

Some public marinas don't want each person nailing in different dock fendering. Putting 1 foot of rubber on boat that is good at any marina I visit, this beats nailing in 4 feet of dock fender if the marina would allow it.

To me weird to say looks matter, but OK maybe some people wanna be fashionable so to each his own . I feel in tropics here the sun makes all look cheerful not sad, now the Midwest sun that makes things stand out and seem ugly. Actually the photos overstate it, most people won't notice it, the white all blends in, a marina usually has lot of other weirdness looks to distract.

Come on, the awful fear of a too fast approach as you fight the weather, and the coming dent or scratch SCREAMS OUT for front bumpering. I go out with just me half the time, and marina has wind and waves and just 7 feet between piles. Anything beats a scratch!!

Scrapes and bumps happen no matter the skill level, wind and waves can be random. A 1 man or small crew docking a 6000 pound boat in hi wind and waves, thats hard to do, unless one is a fair weather sailor. I admit often the wind is too high for me to dock safely alone so I sleep at anchor till wind dies. Hmmm, it's weird thinking to claim skill can beat weather ALWAYS 100%, that only "beginners" bump hard. Sometimes weather is bad and you KNOW it's gonna be an ugly scary docking but your guests want to get in, so yeehaw you power up and accept the hi risk of bump and scratch. I'm in Texas maybe people mean Northern boating is less risky which is true.

I wish they made cheap 2ft x 20 feet of rubber pad, to protect boat sides. Tide can vary 3 feet here so overdoing it seems wise here. Man, I don't want to scratch my first good boat. My last 3 were from 1970s haha full of scratches but built like tanks and survived hurricane near misses with associated windstorms and bucking on ropes for day, not sure a 2001 h260 will hold up. I could be wrong but helpful to think aloud a mix of stuff. - D

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
This reminds me that I was a beginner once too.
Fenders on the dock would be an improvement. Better yet would be learning to use a spring line to stop the boat before the bow hits the dock.

Oct 8, 2023
Hunter 260 Kemah
Docking loop is genius, I always mean to do that with a rope. But tide here can vary 3 feet. But worth experimenting on a docking loop!!

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
I've seen some people use a keel guard on their bow. They come in different colors and lengths and are hardly noticeable. Here is one version, but I've also seen ones without the ribs.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
To me weird to say looks matter, but ...
Well you are talking with a bunch of sailors.:tongue: At some level you had to know what the general consensus was going to be...:beer:

But if you want to consider an alternative.... here is what I did in my slip... (didn't have a photo so I mocked-up your photo). I put a very tight spring line a few inches from the leading edge of the slip... I also tied a fender on the line (horizontal). So when I come in too hot... the spring line slows me down before the bumper hits the dock.... The spring line also makes sure the bumper is between my bow and the dock at all times.
1698687049434.png

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Docking loop is genius, I always mean to do that with a rope. But tide here can vary 3 feet. But worth experimenting on a docking loop!!
I don’t know how you would need to adjust for your tides, but I find my set up invaluable for getting out and back into my slip.

My ONLY fear is that one of my stinkpot dock mates get clever and let some rope out while I am out sailing, ok’ing back in hot, but plowing into the dock because of their prank. So, I keep them in :beer:

Greg