MacGregor Leaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 5, 2012
MacGregor 26X Port Moody
Hello,
We have owned a 1995 MacGregor 26X and enjoy it very much. The boat has many modifications and is well organized.

One issue that we have is that the boat appears to have a permanent lean to the left (port) by a couple of degrees. Our batteries are on the port side, but I keep our fuel tank on the starboard side normally full. All in all, I cannot find a particiular item that should shift the center of gravity to one side. The boat behaves the same whether the water ballast is in or not. The rigging appears to be all symmetrical and straight.

It has not been a big issue, and the primary passengers typically just sit on the starboard side which straightens out the boat, yet I still would like to solve it if possible.

Has anyone else noted a similar issue? If so, is there a particular cause or reason for this to happen which I may have overlooked?

Appreciate any help and suggestions

Andy and Caroline Sigrist

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
the best thing to do is get some known weights (weigh them).... whether its bags of flour, a battery, a tool box full of tools, ect..... and place them on the high side to find out how much weight it takes to straighten it out..... you should try the weight a few feet forward of midship and then a few feet aft of midship, to see if one end or the is more reactive to the changes.... and to keep the attitude of the boat level.
then you can either add equipment or shift what you have to level it out.
on larger boats like fishing vessels, its not uncommon to have to add permanent deadweight to level them..... when the equipment and gear cant be shifted to do the job properly. on a smaller boat, its about the same, just smaller....

Apr 30, 2006
Macgregor 26s Kemah, TX
The most common cause for a boat to list to one side is that the mast really isn't perfectly upright. I know you said it appears straight but you might confirm that. Use a halyard, preferably the main halyard, and take it to the widest spot on one side. Then do the same on the exact same spot on the other side and see if the same place on the halyard makes contact. If the second contact is higher or lower than the first, you know that the mast really isn't upright.

Oct 10, 2011
Venture 222 Nanaimo
Had the same problem on my boat, except it was leaning 2 degrees to starboard.
I found the easy and simplest fix was to remount my clinometer with a 2 degree shift to port. Now my boat sits level. :snooty:

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I found the easy and simplest fix was to remount my clinometer with a 2 degree shift to port. Now my boat sits level. :snooty:
:laugh:

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
ROTFL!

that's GOLD Jerry!

adding weight would be what I'd do.... if it really bothers you.

Jun 5, 2012
MacGregor 26X Port Moody
Thank you for the suggestions. I will try the Halyard test first to re-verify that the mast is straight.

Andy

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Batteries are pretty heavy. Anyway you can shift them to port side? Hey NONSENSE, Don't raise the bridge, lower the water:D Fair Winds and Full Sails...

Status
Not open for further replies.