MacGregor KNOCKDOWN

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Richard

I'm curious as to how many people have actually had (or seen it happen) a KNOCKDOWN with a MacGregor. I know that the original literature featured photos of the self righting ability of the early Macs and I have heard that the newer models with the water ballast are hard to turtle, but I have always wondered how many sailboats in the 22 to 26 foot range (most of the MacGregors) actually get knocked down? And what actually happens when a Mac is knocked over? Does it self right or is it a baot rescue situation? I have had my 22 over on its side just about as far as I would like to experience. (I always bail out when we approach the rails.) And the Vice Admeral would likely sell her PFD if I heeled over anymore.

R

Richard

I'm curious as to how many people have actually had (or seen it happen) a KNOCKDOWN with a MacGregor. I know that the original literature featured photos of the self righting ability of the early Macs and I have heard that the newer models with the water ballast are hard to turtle, but I have always wondered how many sailboats in the 22 to 26 foot range (most of the MacGregors) actually get knocked down? And what actually happens when a Mac is knocked over? Does it self right or is it a baot rescue situation? I have had my 22 over on its side just about as far as I would like to experience. (I always bail out when we approach the rails.) And the Vice Admeral would likely sell her PFD if I heeled over anymore.

C

Carl

Such a great question

Such a great question. I'm very curious as well. I'm taking USCGA classes, and they give accounts about pitch poling and broaches involving larger boats in heavy seas around the backside of Catalina, but never a mention of smaller craft. Hopefully everyone will weigh in on this one.. As for me, not even close. The boat slows down past 20 degrees inj open sea anyway. Also, I learned that the keel trunk is not designed for heavy heeling in open sea on my mac 25.

C

Carl

Such a great question

Such a great question. I'm very curious as well. I'm taking USCGA classes, and they give accounts about pitch poling and broaches involving larger boats in heavy seas around the backside of Catalina, but never a mention of smaller craft. Hopefully everyone will weigh in on this one.. As for me, not even close. The boat slows down past 20 degrees inj open sea anyway. Also, I learned that the keel trunk is not designed for heavy heeling in open sea on my mac 25.

Jun 4, 2004
- - Alexandria, VA
Pop the Main

Personally I have never seen or heard of it. I sail on the Potomac River. I have seen guys sail around heeling around 25 degrees or better. I have always had time to pop the main if I thought I was gonna go over 20 with a gust. Over 20 is a bit too sporty for me!

Jun 4, 2004
- - Alexandria, VA
Pop the Main

Personally I have never seen or heard of it. I sail on the Potomac River. I have seen guys sail around heeling around 25 degrees or better. I have always had time to pop the main if I thought I was gonna go over 20 with a gust. Over 20 is a bit too sporty for me!

R

Ramblin' Rod - Mac 26D - SeaQuell

I've been knocked down, though not in my Mac

It was in our Ensenada 20 (which was somewhat stiffer than our Mac 26D). Basically, we were beating to windward and just completed a tack when we were hit by a nasty gust. The monmentum of the bow turning to leeward, would not allow the boat to turn up to windward. She just laid right over on her side (about 70 degrees), for a few moments until I could ease the main with the boom just touching the water. When she quit turning to leeward, she stopped, and then slowly started to turn to windward. Finally she spilled enough wind, she just popped right back up on her feet, and went into irons as though to ask, "Just what the heck do you think you are doin'?" In fact, that's what Ondine asked, after she picked herself up off the cabin sole and popped her head out the companionway. (She had been trying to make sandwiches while I was beating into 4 foot waves.) Even at that, we never took any water over the coaming. Good thing too, as the companionway hatchboards were out.

R

Ramblin' Rod - Mac 26D - SeaQuell

I've been knocked down, though not in my Mac

It was in our Ensenada 20 (which was somewhat stiffer than our Mac 26D). Basically, we were beating to windward and just completed a tack when we were hit by a nasty gust. The monmentum of the bow turning to leeward, would not allow the boat to turn up to windward. She just laid right over on her side (about 70 degrees), for a few moments until I could ease the main with the boom just touching the water. When she quit turning to leeward, she stopped, and then slowly started to turn to windward. Finally she spilled enough wind, she just popped right back up on her feet, and went into irons as though to ask, "Just what the heck do you think you are doin'?" In fact, that's what Ondine asked, after she picked herself up off the cabin sole and popped her head out the companionway. (She had been trying to make sandwiches while I was beating into 4 foot waves.) Even at that, we never took any water over the coaming. Good thing too, as the companionway hatchboards were out.

K

Kieth Nuttle

Better boat than I am a sailor

I have a V-21 that I bought new in 1970. There have been only a few times that some may consider a knockdown. As the title says she is a better boat than I was as sailor. Even when I was literally walking on the side of the cockpit, the boat knew she was suppose to come back up. The first time I did we had been sailing on a small lake in Ohio. A summer storm came up and I tried to get back to the launching ramp. When I saw I could not beat into the wind to get to the launching ramp, I came about forgetting the main sheet was cleated. My wife, my brother and his girl friend were white faced, My two year old daughter who was held tightly by my wife was just saying Weeee. My daughter is over thirty and still enjoys sailing. So does my wife.

K

Kieth Nuttle

Better boat than I am a sailor

I have a V-21 that I bought new in 1970. There have been only a few times that some may consider a knockdown. As the title says she is a better boat than I was as sailor. Even when I was literally walking on the side of the cockpit, the boat knew she was suppose to come back up. The first time I did we had been sailing on a small lake in Ohio. A summer storm came up and I tried to get back to the launching ramp. When I saw I could not beat into the wind to get to the launching ramp, I came about forgetting the main sheet was cleated. My wife, my brother and his girl friend were white faced, My two year old daughter who was held tightly by my wife was just saying Weeee. My daughter is over thirty and still enjoys sailing. So does my wife.

L

Lamar

I rounded up,...... close as I came

That was as close I care to come. It was like spinning out in a car. Now that I modified the rudder, I bet I can answer the knock down ? one day. Is my thinking right? That the stock rudder would break loose sooner than a longer one. Hmmmm.

L

Lamar

I rounded up,...... close as I came

That was as close I care to come. It was like spinning out in a car. Now that I modified the rudder, I bet I can answer the knock down ? one day. Is my thinking right? That the stock rudder would break loose sooner than a longer one. Hmmmm.

S

Stephen Paul

knockdown?

Have had my 26S heeled over to where the windows were under water. Not even close to going over. NOte this is not a good way to sail, that's not the way to go fast. Steve

S

Stephen Paul

knockdown?

Have had my 26S heeled over to where the windows were under water. Not even close to going over. NOte this is not a good way to sail, that's not the way to go fast. Steve

S

Sam Lust

Knocked down and slam dunked.

We took a severe knockdown with our first Mac 25. First mistake: thinking we could out-run a thunder storm. Had tried the 150 jib for the first time. Hot, muggy afternoon, very little wind. Perfect for making thunder storms. That was corrected very quickly. My wife saw a storm coming, I was playing with rigging and chose to ignore it. Decided to run a little bit too late under motor power. Main and 150 were both down, but genoa was not tied down. Rain started hard and got heavier. Could barely see the bow of our 25. The hailstones didn't help visability either. Then the wind shifted 180 degrees, grabbed the genoa and slammed it right up to the top. Of course the sheet was cleated to keep it on deck, which served very nicely to fill the sail. The mast was in the water before I knew it. The boat just sat there. I don't recall any water going into the interior. Winds were recorded in excess of 50 MPH. We stood on the edge of the seat till the wind let up a bit. When the boat didn't come upright I found we were up against a sand bar. Cranked up the keel, the mast came back up, and off we motored. None the worse for the experience. Actualy the experience built our confidence. (That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger???) Severe angles of heel don't bother my wife at all, she actualy enjoys it. Except when she's making sandwiches.

S

Sam Lust

Knocked down and slam dunked.

We took a severe knockdown with our first Mac 25. First mistake: thinking we could out-run a thunder storm. Had tried the 150 jib for the first time. Hot, muggy afternoon, very little wind. Perfect for making thunder storms. That was corrected very quickly. My wife saw a storm coming, I was playing with rigging and chose to ignore it. Decided to run a little bit too late under motor power. Main and 150 were both down, but genoa was not tied down. Rain started hard and got heavier. Could barely see the bow of our 25. The hailstones didn't help visability either. Then the wind shifted 180 degrees, grabbed the genoa and slammed it right up to the top. Of course the sheet was cleated to keep it on deck, which served very nicely to fill the sail. The mast was in the water before I knew it. The boat just sat there. I don't recall any water going into the interior. Winds were recorded in excess of 50 MPH. We stood on the edge of the seat till the wind let up a bit. When the boat didn't come upright I found we were up against a sand bar. Cranked up the keel, the mast came back up, and off we motored. None the worse for the experience. Actualy the experience built our confidence. (That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger???) Severe angles of heel don't bother my wife at all, she actualy enjoys it. Except when she's making sandwiches.

C

Carl

Research shows..

It seems to me that 3 out of 200 sailors have experienced one knockdown. I figure that this adds up to about 1 per thousands of sails. I think that clearly answers the "urban legend" of knockdowns.. Reassuring for sure.

C

Carl

Research shows..

It seems to me that 3 out of 200 sailors have experienced one knockdown. I figure that this adds up to about 1 per thousands of sails. I think that clearly answers the "urban legend" of knockdowns.. Reassuring for sure.

J

JonBill

Hey Carl Make That 4

Been knocked down in my Hunter but not my Mac. So make that 4 out of 200 - not 3 out of 200. If we're doing a survey it needs to be accurate. Just joking! lol

J

JonBill

Hey Carl Make That 4

Been knocked down in my Hunter but not my Mac. So make that 4 out of 200 - not 3 out of 200. If we're doing a survey it needs to be accurate. Just joking! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.