Macgregor 26 S centerboard downhaul or gravity ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2005
- - Melbourne Australia
Dear Brethren of the seas, if you could lend your expertise on these questions: (1)My Mac 26 S has no way of locking the centreboard in the down position. I must rely on gravity and hope. (that it’s all the way down and that it stays down !)Is this standard? (2)It also appears that the centreboard does not swing down perpendicular to the hull, when the up haul is loose the blade appears to be at a 60 deg angle to hull i.e. 30 deg off vertical. Is this normal? (3)If this is not normal is it a common problem and can it be cured easily and how. Thanks MG.

S

Steve Paul

Should fill with water

Michael Hello down thar: The centerboard should drop slowly to near vertical as it fills with water. Should be holes in the hollow blade for this purpose. When it fills with water it also develops enough mass to keep it down. The keel will however, rise slightly with forward hull speed which is what you want to increase speed through reduced drag. I actually would raise mine a bit under good drive to reduce drag. Of course with a little heel the keel bites on the sides of the keelway and should maintain position there. If she's sailing well I wouldn't worry about it. I would however check and be certain the holes in the keel are open to allow water fill. Best regards, Steve

Jun 17, 2005
- - Kemah, Texas
...I AGREE with STEVE PAUL

My former boat, a Mac26S, handled the same way. Even my present boat, a Mac26X...SAME WAY. BE Thankful that you have a "SWING KEEL" when BUMPING SOMETHING. THAT sure removes a bunch of WORRY. By The Way: HELLO DOWN THERE in far off MELBOURNE !!

K

Kaizen

Lead shots

I have the same problem and am getting pretty annoyed because when I go fast into the wind, the keel comes up and I drift more sideway.Some where in this forum, someone mentioned that they put 10lb of led shots (from shot gun shop) into the CB and pour epoxy to glue them in. I am thinking of giving it a try next spring. It'll still kick up if I hit something under water. I am sorry it is spring time for you mate down under.

Nov 9, 2005
- - Ottawa
Lead Shot or "Pull Down"

Would it be possible to install a "pull down" line on the centerboard similar to the one we have on the rudder???

Nov 9, 2005
- - Ottawa
Lead shot or pull down

JimKelly, There is no easy way to add a tube to the front of the keel for the down haul line. The tube must pass through the cabin floor and the water balast tank to reach the bottom of the boat. I don't fancy drilling holes in that area. I found a place in Hamilton, ON that sells lead shots for making shotgun shell. Minimum order 25 lbs.

Nov 17, 2005
- - Melbourne Australia
Thanks to my Northern brothers

Thanks one and all. Very informative. Yes its spring here in Sunny Melbourne with temperatures averaging about 22 C, North morning winds of about 7 to 15 Knots and Southerly winds of 15 to 25 knots by the afternoon. There must be some problem with my up haul not allowing the blade to fully drop as I'm getting only about 60 degrees. I'll have to dive and see. Thanks again. Michael Greaves.

May 11, 2005
Macgregor 26S Dubai
My Solution

Hi Michael Do you keep you boat in the water or do you launch it from a trailer each time you sail? I have a 26s which is in the water for 11 months of the year and have recently noticed that if there is the slightest bit of growth on the centreboard my pointing ability suffers drastically because the flow of water pushes the board up by about 20 to 30 degrees. To fix this I have made up a wedge system to lock the board in place, I put the wedge in the tighten the uphaul to lock the board in the vertical position, this wedge has the added benefit of also stopping any lateral movement of the board. I know a lot of the guys reading this will be horrified at this solution so I should clarify that if I am just day sailing or cruising I dont use this, it is purely designed for use when I am racing, it should also be noted that I am moored in a deep Marina and all of my sailing is in deep water. Were do you sail from in Melbourne? I actually come from Geelong and used to reguarly sail out of St Kilda Marina. Cheers Mike

Nov 17, 2005
- - Melbourne Australia
Ex Pat Gelongian.

Thanks Mike, The boat is kept on it's trailer in St Kilda Marina and is launched every time I sail with the exception of the week or so It stays in the water at the Gipsland lakes or the Melbourne/Geelong race weekend. The wedge Idea is a good one for a boat that is in deep water. Thanks. p.s. Look me up when your back in Aus over the Geelong race week end. Michael Greaves... Estralita.. JG485

Nov 9, 2005
- - Ottawa
Lead Shot or Pull Down

Would it be possible to use the existing tube (used for the line to raise the centerboard) for a "pull down" line??

K

Kaizen

Keel Pull down

Jim, The keel pull up tube is about 18in back from the keel bolt. Unless we do a bunch of blocks and route the line to the front of the keel, it won't be able to pull it down. Well if there is a will there must be a way. Just keep on thinking and stay on this forum. Someone might figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.