Macgregor 22' 1981 Manual?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 18, 2011
Macgregor 22 swing Keel Reno
We are looking at buying a 1981 Macgregor 22 swing keel. What do you think of this model?
Does anyone have an owner's manual or know where I can download one?
It looks like the only things it needs are the following:
[FONT=&quot]1. bow ring tightened, 2.keel winch has no stop pin, he uses a line to keep the handle up. 3. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The access hole to the keel bolt has a plastic cap than is duck taped (old tape) on. that lets in a little water. just needs new tape.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
Any concerns you can think of?

Thanks for your advice!

Oct 24, 2008
Macgregor 25 (1984) Wildomar, So. Cal.
Welcome to the forum!

I have three Macs in the 1981-1984 range, one being a 1984 M22.

Now, to address your concerns:

-The "bow ring" - are you referring to the eyelet at the front of the boat where the trailer cable attaches? If so, more likely than not you will need to get into that area inside the hull, and "beef up" that area with a backing plate or something. Not a major repair, but something that should be attended to rather quickly.

-As to the keel winch, the issue of a "stop pin" bothers me. The keel winch should be a brake winch, which should hold itself in whatever position you leave it in. The one there is probably defective, which means service or replacement. They can be obtained for less than $100.

- The plug over the keel bolt access hole can also be replaced easily...

In checking out this vessel, be sure to check out as much of the keel assembly as you can. Make sure the bolts are in good condition. At some point, you may wan to lower the keel out of the hull and do a more thorough inspection of the bolt hole, etc. Some of these vessels develop rust at that point, and may eventually fail, which means the keel goes to "the land of Spongebob" - an expensive issue to rectify at the very least.

Other than that, do your standard checks with an "eagle eye" - check the rigging: if its older, it will probably need replacement soon. Check the condition of your sails. Inspect any throiugh-hull or through-deck fittings for leaks or spidering in the fiberglass.

Thoroughly inspect your trailer (if it coms with one) for rust. One I obtained looked "pretty good" at the beginning, but ended up needing $350 in rewelding work because the front tongue assembly had deteriorated and was weakened.

Finally, keep an eye on this post. There are many "well[seasoned" vets here who will give you some other ideas on what to check for. I have always found there advice to be sound and valuable.

Happy sails!

Jan 18, 2011
Thank you! I will be looking at the boat sometime this week and knew pros like yourself would have some words of wisdom :)

If there are any others, please let me know.
THANKS!

Jan 18, 2011
Oh, how many people can comfortable go out for a day sail versus anchoring and taking a night cap?

Oct 24, 2008
Oh, how many people can comfortable go out for a day sail versus anchoring and taking a night cap?
That depends - how long can you comfortably stand the people?!? There aren't a lot of places to go on a 22....

I would suggest that four would sail comfortably. Get to six or more, and it can get rather crowded.

The best advice here is sail with what you are comfortable with. If you're a novice, it might not be a good idea to bring a crowd of people out until you get some more experience. After all, their lives are in your hands.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
ansers in red

We are looking at buying a 1981 Macgregor 22 swing keel. What do you think of this model?
Does anyone have an owner's manual or know where I can download one?
It looks like the only things it needs are the following:
[FONT=&quot]1. bow ring tightened,May just need to tighten the bolts 2.keel winch has no stop pin, he uses a line to keep the handle up.May just need to taqke apart and clean and lube 3. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The access hole to the keel bolt has a plastic cap than is duck taped (old tape) on. that lets in a little water. just needs new tape.The cap does not stop the wate the rubber washers in the bolt do.[/FONT]
Any concerns you can think of?

Thanks for your advice!

Jan 18, 2011
THank you

I am looking at the boat tomorrow. Now I have some ideas of where to focus some time. Does anyone have an owners manual for this or know where I can get one online? Macgregor 22 1981

Oct 24, 2008
I am looking at the boat tomorrow. Now I have some ideas of where to focus some time. Does anyone have an owners manual for this or know where I can get one online? Macgregor 22 1981
If you go to the boat info tab at the top, then look under the 21 or 25 Owner Modifications. In both locations you should find a PDF file of the owner's manual, which covers the 21, 22, and 25.;)

Keep us posted on what you find out.

Jan 18, 2011
Bought the boat!

I will post picture soon. She is called the Footloose. We may rename her... will have to see. All for under 2k. :)

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
The bow eye bolt is really long. Chances are that the washers have been pulled through the fiberglass fill on the inside. There is plenty of solid material and the bolt will not likely pull out. I put in a backing plate a real PITA of a job. You will want to cut at least a 4” access hole in the front end of the berth hull liner. It can be covered with an access cover plate available at WM. Personally if I had to do it over again I would not worry about it.
The winch is important however and can really bust your knuckles when you least expect it. Spray the winch with WD40 let it set and then work it back and forth until pawl on ratchet is working. You will know because you will hear it click. Once you hear it racket the pawl will hold the handle in place. To release it turn the handle counter clockwise forcefully (you may have to give it a bump) to get the brake to release. If winch is totally trashed, which I doubt that it is ( they are built pretty well), you can replace from Dutton-Lainson.
The keel hole you are seeing takes a lock down bolt and two rubber washers along with SS fender washers to seal hole and lock keel into place. I’ve attached a picture.
To find and align holes in keel trunk and keel, crank the keel all the way down until the cable is loose. Then put your finger in the hole and have someone crank up the winch (8 turns on mine) or until you feel the hole. If they go too far back up the winch and remove tip of severed finger and insert lock down bolt. The wing nut and washers go under the settee. Just in case you’re a total idiot, do not use your finger, use the finger of your least favorite friend or child, or just use the lockdown bolt to feel for the hole in the keel.

Attachments

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Ya know if you just grind a taper on the bolt you can find the hole much easer and save a digit.

Feb 8, 2009
Macgregor 22, 26S Norfolk
keel

Thank you! I will be looking at the boat sometime this week and knew pros like yourself would have some words of wisdom :)

If there are any others, please let me know.
THANKS!
Eclipse,
I have a 1980 v-22. Because of what happened with the cast iron keel on my boat, I would give careful attention to the keel cable, the pivot pin, and the cable itself, in addition to the winch. These items are cheap to replace. Also the keel, particulary at the pivot hole.
I didnt. I assumed it would be okay for my one shakedown cruise. Out in the middle of the lake, when we hit some rather large wakes (the keel was down), the boat rocked back and forth and the keel left us!! When I got it back on the trailer, the pivot pin was still in place, so apparenty it cracked at the hole, then fell and broke the cable.
What you get left with is a nice boat that wont sail and wont sell. Im now parting it out!
Dont neglect this!! Replacement keels for this boat are not had for probably less than $1,500.
Bill

Jan 18, 2011
Nice weather! Now time for repairs.. need advice

HI All,
I hope you all are enjoying the warm sailing weather.

Paint: I am looking to repaint the lower part of the sailboat, hull. Where is a good but inexpensive place to buy the paint and are there any words of wisdom? What type of paint, prep, and do you then just wax after the paint has dried?

New Lifeline gate: I need tp replace the lifeline gate and was wondering if there was a good place to buy it. I am willing to buy the crimp tool and do it myself or if it about the same price, have a company do it. The only place around here that sells parts is West Marine. But they are expensive and the local store does not have a clue what they doing. Any ideas on where I can buy even online?

Running Rigging: Looking to put on my b-day list is a the mainsheet rigging. It looks like the original is still on there. Any ideas where to buy? I know I like Harken but not sure on the price. Also, if you have a setup you like and want to post the picture or describe, it would be much appreciated. Is it possible to buy a setup for under $300? maybe even 200?

Bow Ring: Several of you gave some wonderful ideas regarding this. Now I am going to work on it. I like the idea of an access cover plate to get to it. That will save me from fiber-glassing the hole. I will let you know how it goes.

Keel: Is there a safe way to test the keel before putting her in the water for the first time?

I know there is alot here. But looking to get started on it soon!

Thanks!
Mike

Jan 18, 2011
Checking Keel???

How do you check the keel if it is on the trailer. This may sound dumb but I have never don't that. Especially the part where a crack can develop?

Nov 23, 2010
MacGregor Venture 22 OK/TX
Good Question

How do you check the keel if it is on the trailer. This may sound dumb but I have never don't that. Especially the part where a crack can develop?
Any one got an answer or even a glimmer of an idea on this one? I have the same issue? Is it remotely possible or is it as I suspect and you just have to raise up the boat?

Barb

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
HI Saileclipse: Welcome to the Legion of the Damned. Congrats on your new yacht. A yacht is the way you describe your boat to someone who will likely never see it.:D You have picked a great site. The folks here are a well of knowledge and experience. We had a '71 V-222 for five years and loved it. Now to tech issues. Keel winch should be brake type, If worn out you need to replace. If memory serves your keel is cast iron as opposed to glass covered. The only way to inspect it is to get the boat off the trailer and lower the keel. I did it. It's not hard but time consuming. For a number of years we sailed our 22 to Catalina and dropped anchor for a week every year. Very comfortable for two. Very cozy with four. We rarely sailed with more than four aboard. As far a lifeline gate and other hardware check this site or call Bluewater Marine in Seattle, 800-688-8626. They specialize in Venture/Mac stuff. Keep us posted. Fair Winds and Full Sails...

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Ya know I have a line on my winch handle but it is not to keep it from unwinding but to keep it out of the way when entering the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.