MacGregor 17 (1974) vs. Vandestadt and McGruer Siren 17 (1984)

Apr 19, 2020
Catalina 22 Traverse City
Looking for some experienced help here. I am a younger sailor (college aged) who has been saving up over the past year or so to purchase a trailer sailor for use in Grand Traverse Bay on Lake Michigan. I have been looking at a number of boats, but two that have moved onto my list (fairly high up on the list) are the MacGregor 17 and the Vandestadt and McGruer Siren 17 . Both boats are about $3,000, with the Siren being worth slightly less. The MacGregor has been thoroughly refinished, with some new fiberglass put on and a brand new paint and epoxy job. It has had a significant amount of work done on the electronics as well, and the trailer has been refitted and repainted. There are some other finishing touches, but I can probably do it myself. The Siren is also in very good condition, but does not include an outboard motor or mount, which is fairly important to me. I also know that the siren was very popular, and that there are parts readily available for it, while the MacGregor is harder to find replacement parts for. Additionally, I know that sometimes refinished boats can be a rip off, since a pretty paint job can cover up issues. Anyone who has any information that could help me make this choice, please let me know, as I feel a bit lost right now on making the choice. Thanks!

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
Both are nice boats of their vintage. If the Venture has a running motor, it is probably a better value. Basically, the trailer and motor are the main value of these old boats. Assuming both hulls are sound, not soft, the condition of sails and rigging are the next biggest concern. You don't want to replace either for a few years, if ever, so check them over thoroughly. If either needs a new sail, I'd take $4-500 off what I would be willing to pay. I remember the Siren has a really nice cockpit for day sailing with friends. On the other hand, the Venture has more ballast, which should make it better in rougher water.

Apr 19, 2020
Both are nice boats of their vintage. If the Venture has a running motor, it is probably a better value. Basically, the trailer and motor are the main value of these old boats. Assuming both hulls are sound, not soft, the condition of sails and rigging are the next biggest concern. You don't want to replace either for a few years, if ever, so check them over thoroughly. If either needs a new sail, I'd take $4-500 off what I would be willing to pay. I remember the Siren has a really nice cockpit for day sailing with friends. On the other hand, the Venture has more ballast, which should make it better in rougher water.
Additionally, I have the option to potentially get a ComPac 19, which looks to be in decent condition, or a precision 18, which the condition is unknown. Both are more expensive than the 17 footers listed above, and both come with motors.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
You seem like a very wise young guy. Yes, look under the shiney paint. Do you know how many Sirens are still sailing? Is there an association? I think it's always better to buy into a fleet if that's a choice. I don't know either boat so I can't help you there. $3,000 should get you a pretty nice boat even with a trailer. See if you can beat the Siren guy down $500 and get a 3.5 hp Tuhatsu or whatever. Tell him if he doesn't drop the price you'll buy the one with the engine. He'll drop the price. Maybe not $500 but most of the way to a new engine.

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
Additionally, I have the option to potentially get a ComPac 19, which looks to be in decent condition, or a precision 18, which the condition is unknown. Both are more expensive than the 17 footers listed above, and both come with motors.
These are obviously bigger and the ComPac quite a bit heavier. I think they've crossed oceans although the sailors were crazy. It still comes down to condition/price. An engine is a big benefit (maybe $500 to $1500 value), but, again, it depends on age and condition. You have to look at them.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
My nephew has a ComPac19. I haven't had a chance to sail on it but he and his wife have had a great time sailing on it. I think they sail/camp with it. As always you have to define the way you'll use the boat in order to get the boat that fits your needs. If you day sail buy a boat for that. If you want an overnighter then that's a different boat - maybe a Cape Dory Typhoon 19. Race? Another thing. There is no all around boat in that price range or maybe any other.
I've been spending too much time on Offcenterharbor.com and see a lot of small "Camper boats" there. Looks like fun but for someone who defined camping as Motel 6 decades ago, I won't be doing that.

Nov 23, 2018
Vandestadt & McGruer Ltd. Siren 17 Choctawhatchee Bay
I'm new to sailing and currently own a Siren 17. They are very easy to sail and maintain. I upgraded to the Siren from an O'Day Daysailer II because I wanted a small cabin and a more stable boat. There is also a Facebook Siren Owners Group with a lot of information and great people willing to answer questions. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them for you.

Apr 19, 2020
I'm new to sailing and currently own a Siren 17. They are very easy to sail and maintain. I upgraded to the Siren from an O'Day Daysailer II because I wanted a small cabin and a more stable boat. There is also a Facebook Siren Owners Group with a lot of information and great people willing to answer questions. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them for you.
Hey thank you! I appreciate it. I guess my question initially would be, would a siren 17 be able to handle the waters of grand traverse bay on Lake Michigan? It gets fairly windy in there, I probably wouldn’t take it out in much more than 15ish knots or so. Just concerned about stability with the centerboard keel and light weight of the boat.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I am one of the few sailors on this forum who will say nice things about the Macgregors. I've owned three and loved them all and had grand adventures in them. That said, if the Compac 19 is in good shape, with a decent trailer, sails and O.B. (CHECK THE SAILS ON ANY BOAT YOU BUY) then the compac is the most versatile and seaworthy boat on your list.... YMMV.

Now that is out there... you will get a lot of differing opinions.... :biggrin:

But keep this in mind while you shop.... the boat is always free. You are buying the rig, sails, O.B. and trailer. Fiberglass is easy to repair... ugly bulkheads can be sanded and varnished etc... but if you have to get into replacing sails, ($2000) buy an O.B. ($2000) buy a trailer ($2000). So try your best not to look at the sexy new paint job on the boat. Test the sails, run the O.B. look over the trailer carefully. And if it is a swing keel boat... look VERY HARD a the condition of the keel.

Nov 23, 2018
Vandestadt & McGruer Ltd. Siren 17 Choctawhatchee Bay
Being a Canadian boat, most of the Siren owners are in Canada sailing similar waters. In a recent post on the Facebook page, one of the owners was praising the Siren's stability. He got blown over by an unexpected heavy gust, and even though the mast nearly touched the water, the boat righted itself without hesitation. Personally, I've sailed in 10 knot winds and the boat handled admirably.