Macerator pump - Beneteau 331 - stupid question

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
Hello all, I have never used this pump, as not required in Nova Scotia (yet). How do you turn it on? It's there, but I cannot find a switch. Thanks!

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Are you sure it's a macerator pump and not a shower sump pump ? I thought most of the newer Bene's had a gravity dump.
I'll attach a link to the electrical panel from what is supposed to be the manual for your boat, if a macerator is present it must be on one of the spare breakers.
BENETEAU 331 Owner's Manual (Page 45 of 73)

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
Interesting point - I'll check the manual again, it could be what you are saying. But themn how do you empty the holding tank? Unscrew the white panel that covers it??

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Most Beneteaus of that era had a breaker (either dedicated or spare) for the macerator pump (if you have one) and a momentary switch that required continuous pressure on the switch to operate. The switch is mounted on the side of the lavatory sink cabinet. The shower pump had an on/off switch, that was also on the side of the lavatory, positioned in the on position for the duration of the shower. Note that a macerator was optional equipment at increased cost; therefore, the boat may not have one. No, you definitely don't want to empty the tank by way of removing the white panel. The panel provides access in the event that the entire holding tank needs to be removed. Pump out at a marina pump out facility by way of the pump out deck plate located on deck directly above the holding tank. After pumping out the contents, add a few gallons of water and pump out again, a couple of times to remove as much waste as possible. Hope this helps, I haven't been on a 331 in seven years, so my memory may not be exactly correct.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
Many thanks, yes, there is a switch on the side and there is only one and yes that does the shower drain, so I believe I am mistaken that there is a macerator pump.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
There MAY be a thru hull accessed by a smaller easily removed panel behind the toilet that allows for gravity emptying of tank at sea. Wasn't a 331 but I've seen this set up on other French boats, the panel has one of those chrome push button latches at the top.

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
If there is a macerator, the pump is located under the sink; it is clearly identified as such... there is also a dedicated through hull which should be identified "macerator". The pick-up tube is on top of the tank. the exit for the deck plate is on the bottom of the tank. It is more efficient to empty through the deck plate. You should only use the macerator if you are more than three miles offshore.

Jun 18, 2013
Beneteau 41.1 Glen Cove, NY
Hello all, I have never used this pump, as not required in Nova Scotia (yet). How do you turn it on? It's there, but I cannot find a switch. Thanks!
My 331 had a manual head which had no macerator. The holding tank was not gravity drained. There was a Y valve below the sink which sent the waste from the head either into the tank or overboard. Once it was in the tank, the only way to get it out was a pumpout at the dock or from one of the pumpout boats. My 2019 41.1 has the newer design, where all waste goes into the tank and from there can either be pumped out or drained via gravity overboard (outside of No Dump areas, of course). I much prefer the newer design, but it's important to keep an eye on the tank level and not let it get 100% full. Don't ask.

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
Thanks for the information, confirms exactly what I had been thinking.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
If I were you I would remove the panel and get familiar with your setup. French built boatssmay be set up different than US built and previous owners may have changed things as well.

Good luck