Macerator Install-Holding Tank Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2005
Beneteau 373 Baltimore
Has anyone installed a macerator on an S299 marine head or converted the manual JABSCO head to an electric head? Our 299 came with a holding bag which needs to be replaced. Has anyone done this and can recommend a good holding tank for the 299? Thanks Dave

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Not a good plan...

Macerators move waste at 12 gpm...you can't pump fast enough to keep up with it, which results in fried impellers. If you try "pump some, run the macerator some," it MIGHT save your impellers, but it's more trouble than it's worth and result in a backup if the macerator fails. If you want an electric toilet, buy an electric toilet. The best "bang for the buck" in electric macerating toilets is the Raritan SeaEra. http://www.raritaneng.com/products/toilets/electric/sea_era.html As for a tank...your best source is Ronco Plastics: http://www.ronco-plastics.com They make top quality rotomolded tanks for a very reasonable price and have more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular. And the install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank. You might also check out the link below before starting this project.

Aug 9, 2005
Beneteau 373 Baltimore
Peggy: thanks for taking the time to penn your response and add the very helpful links and advice. I've ordered a copy of your book. In addition to trying to make the head functional I've been working on odors and added a couple of Ozone generators which are helping. But the holding bag is definitely a significant contributor to boat smell. I'll look fwd to reading the book when it arrives. thanks again. Dave

Aug 9, 2005
Beneteau 373 Baltimore
Holding Tank

Hi. I have a 299. I recently pulled out that horible smelly bag, toilet and hoses and replaced everything. I used a Ronco tank, reference P160 (approx. 14 gal) which fits in the bow pretty good without having to cut the hole larger to get it in there. Once it was set up and supported, I used that expandable, "foam-in-a-can", that was great to fully support the tank in the bow. I used a "Y" valve to divert the pumpout or the through hull. The tank with fittings cost approx. $200 and took about 2-3 weeks to arrive. Hope this helps!

Aug 9, 2005
Beneteau 373 Baltimore
Holding Tank

thanks for your response. I have been looking at a similar tank from Ronco @13gals. a B106. Did they install your fittings at the factory or did you need to do that yourself? To pick your brain further, what toilet choice did you make? thanks Dave

Aug 9, 2005
Beneteau 373 Baltimore
299 Holding tank

Hi Yes, I did a drawing of the P160 tank and positioned the fittings and inspection cover with dimensions. I'd be happy to send it to you or anyone else. They made it to my drawing exactly. The beauty of the P160 is that it fits great right up in the bow, below the berths. It about 14 gallons I think. By positioning it there, there is still space for a "Y" valve and manual pump.

Aug 9, 2005
Beneteau 373 Baltimore
299 Holding Tank

Marty Yes. I would really like to have your drawing. My email is: david_bickhart@merck.com. I also have a fax @ 908 735 1489. If that doesn't work, if you can email me your address I can send you a stamped self addressed envelope. thanks Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.