Macerator and 1" Hose

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I need to change the aft head toilet hose to the holding tank. It is a macerating head and starts out as a 1" hose for about 2 feet and then goes to 1.5" hose for the remaining 5 feet to the tank. It had a low spot in the run and that section of the hose is no longer odor blocking :frown:. I was wondering how far I could keep the run in 1". In my mind it's all fluidic once it's gone through the blades and if I keep it 1" that means it should take less water to push it to the tank. Any thoughts?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
The simplest solution would be to replace the 1" discharge fitting with a 1.5" fitting, which--assuming your toilet is a Jabsco, you can get from them...if it's not from the mfr of your toilet. That will give you an unbroken 1.5" hose run from the toilet to the tank.

If your hoses are the so-called "standard" sanitation hose (#148 single-wall white flexible PVC), I'd replace all of 'em...'cuz if one stinks the rest won't be far behind. And I'd spend the money for Trident 101 or Raritan Saniflex...'cuz you only want to have to do this job once.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Peggy I believe it is a Jabsco quiet flush and the hose is marked 144-1120 odor-guard. This is the second hose I am replacing and they both were routed with a low spot in them. So they make a 1.5" joker valve body for this toilet?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Peggy I believe it is a Jabsco quiet flush and the hose is marked 144-1120 odor-guard. This is the second hose I am replacing and they both were routed with a low spot in them. So they make a 1.5" joker valve body for this toilet?
144-1120 odor-guard hose is from a company called MPI. It's even softer and more odor permeable than #148, ok for water but not for sewage.

Yep, they do...and it's called a "discharge fitting." Jabsco is/was the only mfr to make toilets with a 1" discharge. That was ok when all toilets flushed directly overboard, but because the "standard" toilet discharge hose is 1.5", making all holding tank fittings 1.5" too, they finally had to start offering a choice. Give Paul Campagna at Jabsco a call to order it 978-282-5246 ...and when you do, tell him you need either a straight or a 90, depending on the direction your hose has to run from the toilet. You'll also need to be certain which model toilet you have.

Jun 27, 2014
Jeanneau Moorings International 50 Everett
I prefer your first choice - go with 1 inch hose all the way to the holding tank then adapt to its fitting. The smaller hose will take less volume to flush it, and flow rate will be higher, helping prevent stuff sticking. I see no up side to using larger hose, except cost and lever of effort, where up is not good.
PO of my boat did like yours, 1 in hose into panel behind stool, then 1 1/2 to tank, 4 feet straight up. I replaced with 1 in all the way with no problems.