Mac Navigation: iPad vs laptop

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I use I Sailor and have used it on a Android Tablet for about two years. Last year I "acquired" a new Ipad that did not have cellular so no GPS. I bought a Bluetooth GPS transmitter and it hooks up perfectly every time. I really like (this is a first) the operating system of ISailor in IOS way more than Android. The GPS transmitter can be bought for under $100. I bought a higher capacity one that will connect up to 5 components and logs. Interestingly I researched it in pilot forums where pilots are using Ipads for charting in planes with the same GPS transmitter.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
just now loaded iSailor to my phone.
I have found iSailor an easy to use iPhone app. They are moving to a "Subscription Service". Vector Charts that will have an annual fee to update. In APP feature purchases like AIS (internet), tides and currents, guides etc.

Another app that is interesting is Aqua Map. US and Canadian Charts 1 yr subscription $15. I find this to be a robust tool. You can share the app among 6 family memebers. The Inline purchases are not shareable (maps). Still only iOS 10 or later compatible.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
One thing about ipads..At least mine. Mine is an ipad air and is 5-6 yrs old. Sound has quit working and Most of the time I can out type it..Meaning as I type, the characters do not show up for ~5-8 seconds. And when they do, it catches up. It is updated the last OS version. Problems or planned obsolescence?? Thats a whole nuther topic...

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
One thing about ipads..At least mine. Mine is an ipad air and is 5-6 yrs old. Sound has quit working and Most of the time I can out type it..Meaning as I type, the characters do not show up for ~5-8 seconds. And when they do, it catches up. It is updated the last OS version. Problems or planned obsolescence?? Thats a whole nuther topic...
My old Air is slow as molasses, up hill in February. The iPad Pro is lightning fast and has a significantly better and brighter screen. Wish I'd bought the iPad Pro sooner.......

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
No problem, I switch back and forth between 2 phones, personnel and work, one android and one iPhone, for me I figure technology is always improving so when my money is involved I invest the least. For an additional case that in my opinion is just as good as Lifeproof look for a Supcase Unicorn Beetle on Amazon. I wouldn't try swimming under water with a Supcase like Lifeproof advertises, but for normal outside use and drops they work great at a lot less.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I had to purchase another set of charts to use I Sailor on IOS. The Android version doesn't cross over to the IOS version. That being said I have it now on my Android Tablet, Android phone, Ipad and a work Iphone. I keep my Android phone in my pocket when solo as it is waterproof just in case the boat leaves me.

Aug 22, 2019
n/a n/a Galveston
I was originally going to use an iPad for navigation but bought the Wifi only version by accident (no gps module). Not wanting to buy another I installed it on an old iPhone. I discovered that I could use it with one hand while at the helm which is somehting that I would not be able to do if I had the iPad. An added bonus is that it's also like having a remote control for music since I can stream over bluetooth
You can add a "bad elf" gps for $100

Nov 8, 2019
Benetau 19 La Spezia
I have found iSailor an easy to use iPhone app. They are moving to a "Subscription Service". Vector Charts that will have an annual fee to update. In APP feature purchases like AIS (internet), tides and currents, guides etc.

Another app that is interesting is Aqua Map. US and Canadian Charts 1 yr subscription $15. I find this to be a robust tool. You can share the app among 6 family memebers. The Inline purchases are not shareable (maps). Still only iOS 10 or later compatible.
Through GEC account in Aqua Map you can share your charts up to 5 devices, no matter if iOS or Android.

Oct 22, 2014
Good to know.
I have OpenCPN up and running on my MAC Laptop now. I was able to load Canadian charts I purchased last year. It's functions are similar to Coastal Explore, yet the tidal/current feature is not yet working, and I hav eno idea if it will operate with my network to provide me with AIS, GPS and sonar sensor data. That is the next step.

The charts both NOAA and Canadian quilt smoothly. waypoint entry, routing, and bearing/measurement features are easy to accomplish. So far I am liking it. It gives a good option for MAC users missing the MacENC.

Nov 8, 2019
Benetau 19 La Spezia
I don't know what this means.
I purchased US charts on my iPad two years ago, my wife using the same login (GEC account in setting page) is able to download the charts in her Samsung smartphone without pay another time.

Oct 22, 2014
Mike if you install the app, locate the settings icon in the lower right corner of the map. Half way down you’ll find the GEC account feature. You register then you can use their cloud service.