Mac 26S replacement mast too heavy?

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
Huh? Almost all boats have cb lower than cg, but that's beside the point.
Uh, no, that would cause them to flip over.

[Edited to add: Perhaps more importantly, the C of B also moves upward as the boat heels, going even further above the C of M, and that's actually the condition that most relevant when talking about mass aloft.]

Last edited:

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
Uh, no, that would cause them to flip over.

[Edited to add: Perhaps more importantly, the C of B also moves upward as the boat heels, going even further above the C of M, and that's actually the condition that most relevant when talking about mass aloft.]
Not how it works. Cb is always below the waterline. How many boat have the cg well below the waterline?

Righting moment (positive or negative) comes from the horizontal distance between cg and cb. What are you calling "upward?" When the boat heels the cb moves in the horizontal direction of heel. As long as it moves past the offset from cg it'll try to right the boat.

I suspect you're thinking of metacenter, which is higher and describes how cb moves with angle of heel.

Aug 2, 2014
MacGregor 26C Stuart FL
That deck plate was stock on 92' and 93' so sayeth BWY.

Judging by your photo of the mast and deck plate it appears to have been used on that boat plenty. Did the PO say how long he used it that way?

I would suggest pulling the ballast tank valve and inspecting it for porosity corrosion especially where it's welded to the base plate. If it was kept in the water the suggested cup of bleach and salt water are bad news for stainless over time.

I've used petroleum jelly as a seal lube and also for the upper hardware to prevent binding and giving a false sense of being tight .

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Looks like you have an S106 (Sparcraft), which is what Freedom has. YEP. Heavier than stock, S104. Takes two to raise. Looks like a lot of wear. bolthole in mast worn bigger. Thanks for pics. Keep us posted.

Aug 29, 2020
MacGregor 26S Mobile
I didn't get to talk to the PO for as long as I would have liked to, and didn't think to ask him how long the replacement mast had been on the boat or how it effected handling. I didn't fully comprehend all the possible ramifications of a "new mast" at that point.
Eclectic thanks for the pointer on the ballast valve. I got the boat from the original owner, who was a freshwater sailer, with the exception of a couple trips to the Keys. Boat has always been kept on the trailer, no bottom paint.

Aug 2, 2014
MacGregor 26C Stuart FL
They're fun boats. You're sure to love it once you shake out the wrinkles. From the photos it appears to have been sailed with that mast many times.

Best Regards