Mac 26s: Leading running rigging to cockpit

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gary

Greetings, Fellow Mac owner! I am interested in adding hardware that will allow me to lead control lines to the cockpit of my Mac 26S. I would like to learn of successes, failures, tips, and advice of others who have tried this. My current plan is to install two mast-base lead blocks near the base of the mast, two on the starboard side and one on the port side. I would then add two deck organizers, one for the two lines that will run to starboard (main halyard and reefing line) and one on the port side for the jib halyard. I would add a double rope clutch on the starboard side and a single rope clutch on the port side, for the main halyard, reefing line, and jib halyard, respectively. (Or, depending on my budget, I might substitute horn cleats for the rope clutches). For the reefing line, I am considering adding a horn cleat to the port side of my mast. I would run the reefing line from that cleat through the reefing cringle, down through one of the mast-base lead blocks, and on to the cockpit and rope clutch via the deck organizer. I appreciate all thoughts and suggestions on this plan.

J

Jerry

Be careful of. . .

Sounds like a plan. I learned, the hard way, to be carful of what size drill bit used to drill through your deck to bolt down your clutch block. I'm looking for thin, white plastic to patch where the two 3/8 flat head drill bits over lapped and tore a big gap-inside the cabin. No round plug(s)can fill the oblong whole.

M

Mike

Jerry - drill out the two holes

Jerry - drill out the two holes into one larger hole and get a bigger plug, they make them at least up to 1 1/2 inches in diameter.

S

SeaLord

Concept Will Work Well

I have done this on a 26x, but used 2 on EACH side (one spare for eventual in-cockpit reeefing line). It works well. One caution has been mentioned already: interior decor will need attention. Second caution: seal well with mastic to prevent leaks through deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.