Mac 26D forestay chain plate

Aug 21, 2018
Macgregor 26D Del river and forked river
On Our 1988 26D the forestay chain plate is loose. I only see one bolt that is on the starboard side to tighten. It helped a little but it’s a large flat head screw slot that isn’t tightening very much. The head liner inside blocks me from seeing the bottom of the chain plate. Has anyone dealt with this problem and how can I fix it? I used 3M 4000 on the shroud chain plates and they are set nicely.
Thanks for any help.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
When I added a bow sprit to my Mac 25 I confronted the same issue. It sounds like your 26d has the same single bolt setup? the only issue is that it makes it difficult to seal the area where the plate exits the bow due to the constant slight movement, but there is, at least on my 25, a stainless reinforcement to keep the plate from cutting into the fiberglass. I considered adding a second bolt to the bottom of the plate, but ultimately left it as it was designed and it's never been an issue beyond needing new sealant every couple of years.

Attachments

Aug 21, 2018
Thanks for the reply. You did an outstanding job on that bow sprit as well!!!

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
I too cut an access hole. Bolted the plate down (it was screwed originally) and of course used butyl tape to keep the water out. Note while working in that area I also found out the 3 deck cleats didn’t even have washers!

Aug 21, 2018
The bow chain plate is bolted with a single screw head bolt that is on the starboard side of the hull. The cover plate used to be riveted to the bow but the rivets are gone.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
My Mac 22 used to have the same set up. I would unbolt the chainplate and clean up the surface under neat the tang (flange). If the rivet holes are blown, I'd lay up about six 1"x3" layers of epoxy wetted fiberglass cloth on a piece of plastic. Before you start, put tape around the edges of the plastic. Then from inside, I would lay that over the slit and tape it in place. In essence you would be making a strong backing plate out of fiberglass.

I've done this kind of repair several times. Thick plastic used as a drop cloth for painting works well but the best kind is the vis-a-vis slides your professors used to use for overhead projectors.

Once the epoxy sets, take a sawzaw or a coping saw and cut out the slit, put your chain plate back in place and then rivet the tang back in place. "Don't forget to put some butyl tape under the tang to keep water out. If you don't have a pocket riveter or can't borrow one, you could just as easily through bolt it with a 2" skinny SS bolt. That actually might be better because you could really squeeze the butly tape into place and make a water tight seal.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
@Ms Hope photos are always your friend when trying to explain anything online :).

This is the single bolt referred to that secures the chain plate:
0.jpeg

but if the flange plate on the deck
IMG_0283.jpg
is missing it's rivets, then than that certainly needs to be addressed.

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
You can cut out a piece of the liner, to gain access to the chainplate. You could drill another hole and put another bolt in.
Or you can with alittle work, make a new stem head fitting, a do away with that chainplate.

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
The bow chain plate is bolted with a single screw head bolt that is on the starboard side of the hull. The cover plate used to be riveted to the bow but the rivets are gone.
This, this is what i meant.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
When I took the earlier photos I shamed myself into re-sealing my reinforcement plate also. this required drilling out the rivets and then re-riveted the plate. so anyway..... wile I was there I took more photos for y'all :).

because of the geometry between the single mounting bolt, the point where the forestay attaches, and the installed forestay itself, there's quite a lot of force exerted to the rear side of the slot the chain plate sets in by the tensioned forestay. note the chainplate angle is almost vertical as shown by the yellow arrow shaft. this makes the reinforcement plate very important to keep from elongating the slot in the fiberglass.
IMG_0290.jpg

When I installed my bow sprit I built a new chainplate to gain an extra 1/4" around it, but the OEM piece was actually almost identical to the one shown. as you can see, there isn't much opportunity to add another bolt to the bottom of the chainplate, and any leverage advantage really wouldn't help much regardless. which is why your reinforcement plate needs to be made secure again to support the load.
IMG_0288.jpg

oh.. and BTW. the fiberglass under the reinforcement plate is VERY thick. if you plan to use rivets you'll want 3/16" rivets at least 3/4" long. 7/8"+ would be even better.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I've been jealous of your anchor roller since you first posted that mod...:thumbup::biggrin:

Aug 21, 2018
No doubt that is a cool mod. I’m cutting a ‘window’ into there tomorrow and see what’s doing. Thanks for all the replies and keep em coming if you have suggestions or comments.
Jeff

Giro

Jul 23, 2019
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Monterey
I have a question regarding the added bowsprit. From what I have read here, you have added the bowsprit to accommodate the spinnaker. I guess what you have done was to modified your MacGregor 25 sloop into a “cutter rig” sloop. Is my observation correct? If so, did you have to adjust the position of the mast in any way? The reason for my question is because I had a roller furler package set-up installed on my MacGregor 25 that came complete with a 135 percent Genoa when fully engaged. The problem is that I am left with a practically new jib sail and practically new 150 percent Genoa sail that I would like to be able to be able to use. I’m not sure that it would be safe and/or practical, but I guess just knowing that I might be able to use them if I wanted to would make me feel better. I’m thinking by adding a block at the masthead (or thereabouts) and adding the bowsprit would accomplish this. I’ve read that the placement of the mast, from an engineering standpoint, is critical. All bets are off if the mast would have to relocated. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.