Mac 26 X Main sail

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave Daniels

My main sail ('99 Mac 26X)is difficult to raise and stops about 1 foot short of the top of the mast. There is only about 2 inches of loose main left above the boom. Also it has a wrinkle? that starts just inside the lower batten and goes up from there. Is this normal in light air(Chesapeke Bay south of Annapolis) or is something wrong. This is our first full season with a boat bought in Aug of last year. Thanks

K

Kevin

main

You don't mention it but I assume you are using a standard main without slugs. You may want to try a sail lubricant. It will make the raising much easier. Try West Marine's catalog for options. Look at product 160957. I don't have any direct experience with the product. The wrinkle may be from insufficient tension since you aren't hoisting completely. K

M

Morris Rooms

re: Main

Presumably you have fully loosened off the vang, I sometimes forget and if it is already tightened then it can prevent the main going the full way up the mast.

B

Bob Gribbin

26x mainsail

I get my main up without trouble - make sure you are turned into the wind and that the hayard is not caught above - but I do experience some mainsail luft when on the Chesapeake Bay, even when I have the sail as tight as possible. Two fixes help. First run your jib or genny more outboard, experiment until you find the right setting for the day's wind. I have two tracks to choose from, but I beleive the second track was an aftermarket addition. Second, try a cunningham to tighten down the sail foot. My sail has a gromet hole for a cunningham line, but the mast does not have a separate cleat, so I tie it off to the reef hook. I wonder why McGregor did not put the rather standard cunningham cleat on the mast?

M

Michael Shomate

Dry PTFE

Try Dry PTFE (teflon) spray. I use it and my sail goes up smoothly.

Status
Not open for further replies.