Mac 25 upper shrouds & spreader positioning

Nov 19, 2018
macgregor m25 puerto vallarta
Good morning all, can someone please tell me if the spreaser end caps on my Mac 25 are supposed to allow the shrouds to move through the end caps or are they supposed to be seized completely ? The old uppers that I just replaced each had a ferrule swagged on them about 1" above the end cap .which isn't stock so i am assuming that they should be able to move but i am not certain.Thanks for reading !

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
On my ‘85 Mac25, I have the spreaders at a 90 degree angle to the mast. Plus, at the ends of each spreader, there is a clamp of sorts (a cap that is adjusted using the 2 screws) that holds the shrouds to keep them in place and keep the spreader in position and NOT sliding up or down. Annually during commissioning, I examine all the standing rigging, including the spreader end clamps and make any adjustment or repair necessary at that time. Can’t imagine that you’d want that to be sliding up and down. Not at the boat presently, so sorry no picture to show you what probably should be there.

Nov 19, 2018
Thank you for your reply ! this is what it looks like now,the manual says to measure down 11ft from the center of the top tang bolt where they connect & connect the spreader end caps to the shrouds,which is what i have done & this is what i now have,hope this helps !

Attachments

Nov 19, 2018
Good morning & thanks for your reply, there is no reference to end cap/upper shroud location or the tightness of the end cap on the shroud in the Mac 25 manual but the 1988 Mac 26 manual says that the end cap/shroud location is 11ft from the center of the the tang bolt at the top ,shroud pulled snug,to the center of the end cap, are the 25 & the 26 masts the same & if they are wouldn't the center be at 11' 4 3/4 " since the lower shrouds are 22' 9 1/2" & I don't understand why the shrouds need to ne seized to the end caps & not just snuggedup so that they can move a little,,under pressure?
I think that i have discovered the problem, when it dismasted 2 years ago the starboad spreader tube got crimped so i built a new one out of identical aluminum stock but i think i drilled the holes wrong & the spreader tube needs to be rotated 90 degrees, If i can't rotate the end cap then i'll make a new tube. I am bringing the mast back down today & will post the results as soon as i can,thanks again & i'll be looking forward to your reply !!

Attachments

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I think you're overthinking it.
The shrouds should be fixed just tight enough so that they won't move from their positions, but can be bumped a bit for fine tuning.
You should be able to rotate the end cap, but you'll have to drill a new hole for the fixing screw.
No biggie. ;)

Nov 19, 2018
Hey, thanks a bunch, the snug but not captured advice sounds good to me & I'm thinking that I can redrill it also. I will bring the mast down today & i'll post the results as soon as i can (just in case there is a Mac owner out there as dumb as me) !!

AndyVS

Sep 4, 2015
Corsair 31 UC 179 Port Sanilac
On my 26s, I recently needed to replace an end cap on a spreader. After replacing, I tightened shroud to end cap. My spreaders were a bit low at 11ft so I raised them .25". They look good now.

In addition to rotating the end cap, your shrouds look loose.

Andy

Nov 19, 2018
Thanks for the info Andy, I have a 85 Mac 25 & set my end caps at 11ft like it says in the 88 26 manual, assuming that they would be the same & yes they are loose, i had them in the 1st hole instead of the 2nd hole because i wanted some slack when raising the mast.

May 20, 2020
MacGregor 25 Denver
Another spreader issue, the mast side of the spreader has been damaged by the head and nylock nut of the attaching bolt when the spreader was folded into the mast by previous persons. Is the spreader supposed to be able to fold along the mast when it is down or did someone force the issue? Is the spreader meant to go over this bolt and nut and then remain at a 90 when transporting it? Photos show damage. 841CC3F3-3929-4798-9E78-EE327CCDEC26.jpeg33B5C56F-EBAB-4438-BE0A-5BF9DAA31CD3.jpeg7C0ED582-677C-48D0-BB74-B30767669F24.jpegAA467EC4-15E4-40C9-A48B-30F8AF101C8F.jpeg

Attachments

May 20, 2020
MacGregor 25 Denver
I just cut 3/4” off and still want to know where to drill the hole for the attachment bolt. Does the spreader go over the main bolt and nut?

Feb 20, 2011
I just cut 3/4” off and still want to know where to drill the hole for the attachment bolt. Does the spreader go over the main bolt and nut?
Whatever do you mean, "main bolt and nut"? The U fixture?
I'd just buy new spreaders and make sure they're not going to deform.

May 20, 2020
MacGregor 25 Denver
The bolt that attaches the u brackets to the mast is what caused the damage when the spreaders were folded. If the hole on the spreader were closer to the end of the tube then they would fold with no damage as it would clear. My question is, is the spreader meant to fold along the mast when it is down or should I drill the attachment hole further back from the end so that the spreader goes over the bolt attaching the u brackets to the mast thus making it stationary.

Feb 20, 2011
The bolt that attaches the u brackets to the mast is what caused the damage when the spreaders were folded. If the hole on the spreader were closer to the end of the tube then they would fold with no damage as it would clear. My question is, is the spreader meant to fold along the mast when it is down or should I drill the attachment hole further back from the end so that the spreader goes over the bolt attaching the u brackets to the mast thus making it stationary.
I'd keep the hole in the spreader at the same position, but mill away the area that gets deformed so it'll clear the bolt.
The spreaders can be folded up along the mast, but not down, so you'd only need to mill the top area.

May 20, 2020
MacGregor 25 Denver
Thanks, that sounds reasonable. I would like to be able to fold them. I have been on other boats where the don’t fold and it is no fun stepping over them on deck when mast raising and risking tripping and or damaging the spreaders.