Mac 25 Genoa upgrade

Jun 27, 2017
Macgregor 25 Columbia, MO
Hello,
I have been sailing a 1982 Macgregor 25 for a couple years now, and my only foresail is a hanked on jib. I'd really like to have a genoa, but my boat was never equipped with one. I have seen pictures of other Mac 25s with travelers and winches, but I haven't seen any printed instructions on where or how to install them. Have any of you retrofitted your 25 to use a genoa? Are the parts available? Any information/pics/ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Chad Stretz
Columbia, MO

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
A genoa is simply a larger headsail. First of all, you don't need a traveller....that's for the mainsail. You can use your existing sheet winches, but if you don't have any, you may want to install a pair on the coaming and an additional set of genoa sheet lead blocks.... you could even install a track system with adjustable sliding cars for the lead blocks. You'll probably want the genoa leads placed on the toe rail so the sail can be sheeted outside the lifelines. The winches can be economic single speed "standard" winches or you can splurge on self-tailing models... Lewmar 15's would be perfect( wait for the yearly 2 for 1 sale at West Marine)

The best thing you can do right now is to get educated on how sails are measured and then set up for rigging. A call to a sailmaker for this information and a price quote could help you decide how much additional hardware your budget will cover.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Good advice from Joe. Many good sailmakers around. North, Hood, $$$, but they have a large inventory of used sails. Hyde etc. They should have measurements. Check with Judy B on this site. She's knows what's what. Also contact Blue Water Marine in Seattle. They are the go to for all things Mac/Venture. The only dimensions you will need are "I" the distance from the mast base to the headstay. and "J" the distance from the mast base to the bow. On the 25, correct me if I'm wrong, "I" is 21 feet (standard fractional rig), and "J" is 10 ft. I masthead rigged Freedom and "I" is 29'4".

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes

BWY can help you set everything up for the 25, including the sail purchase. I purchased a new main sail from them a few years ago and was very happy to find their knowledge on the Macs (it's a great quality sail also BTW :) ) .
That being said, the Mac 25 doesn't point worth a hoot with a genoa. if you just want it for light air sailing that would be another thing however. :cool:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You'll definitely need more info than just the "J" foredeck and "I" mast height or "hoist". Please go to www.sailwarehouse.com for a complete tutorial on measuring your boat for sail fit, a spec database and an inventory list. You'll want to know the max sail luff length for your boat... I'd measure that with a tape instead of geometrically.

Jun 27, 2017
Thank you for the replies. The Missouri lake where we sail tends to have very light winds in July and August, and the bigger boats with their lovely big genoas leave us bobbing in the heat. I'll contact the vendors you guys suggested and see what they can offer.
Chad

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I have never had any pointing issues with mine. I have tracks installed on the edge of the deck outside the windows with cars. Works great. I also installed swivel cam cleats where the horn cleats were in the cockpit for quick adjustments. I put those on.Like smaller versions of the stock main sheet cam cleat.

Jun 27, 2017
If anyone has any pics of their set up, I'd really appreciate looking at them.
Thanks!

Jun 27, 2017
Thought I'd beat this dead horse a little more... Which genoa is better for a Mac 25? 135 or 150? Hanked on, or spend the money for a furler? Any opinions appreciated, thanks!
Chad

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
Keep it a hank on rig. Gives you more sail options. If you are Ebay savy, there are good deals on lightly used sails in all sizes. Know your rig measurements, and shop away. Try different sizes, and if you don't like it, sell it.
My V25 has the rig modified so I can use J24 headsails. A 150 J24 sail, works out to about a 135 on the Mac. I have purchased lightly used laminate sails for $200! I also have a nice heavy weather small jib (about a 70%), a 150 and a drifter.
The "best" size really depends on the wind conditions at that moment, so having multiple sizes to chose from is key.
There are plenty of pictures in my album, here on this site.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Wind on Lake Mead can be almost non existent at time. I have a 180% drifter which almost comes back to the cockpit. Don't use it much but it sure in nice in a calm.